2000 Caravan only clicks.

I have a 2000 Caravan when we try to start it it only clicks, the batt is 6 mths old. it did this about 3-4 mths ago and I put in a new relay fuse it fixed it that time, I changed it this time but it still only clicks... Thanks for any help...

Reply to
Terry5751

Bad contacts in the starter. Cheap fix if you can do it yourself. Others will elaborate more on the subject, but the above is 99% likely your problem...

Reply to
FeMaster

Thank you I will tighten them up and see what happens...

FeMaster wrote:

Reply to
Terry5751

I agree. Had this problem with my '95 Concord starter last spring. Had a rebuilt one installed at a local repair shop for C$200. They were 35% less costly than at my Chrysler dealer and used the same rebuilt stock as the dealer.

Reply to
Some O

You do not tighten them up. They pretty much self destruct/disintegrate with use so must be replaced. Check out this site for details and photos:

Note Toyota also uses this same starter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yea, like Bob said, it's actually the contacts INSIDE the starter that wear out.

If you are capable, you could remove the starter, pull the end cap off and replace them yourself. Depending on where you buy your parts, it should cost you under $20. I got lucky and a local 12-volt rebuilder sold me the parts. I got the new contacts and new plunger for a few cents over $5, plus about 45-minutes of my time...

Reply to
FeMaster

Reply to
philthy

Everyone shouldn't be in so much of a hurry to buy anything until the basics are eliminated. It very well could be something as simple as corrosion on the battery terminals or the starter connections. These are things that can easily be diagnosed and corrected without going to a shop. We also shouldn't rule out that the battery simply died.

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Agreed. But given the vehicle, symptoms, and age ... the solenoid contacts are suspect. Certainly do the proper diagnostics and eliminate the easier potential causes first. Then go for the solenoid contacts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman