Dodge camper van - light steering

Hi:

I'm looking at a 1982 Dodge camper van 360 engine.... It has what I would describe as very light steering - it doesn't wander and I don't thing there's anything wrong with the steering system, but it just seems to require a very light touch. With power steering systems, is there any adjustment that will introduce greater resistance to the steering system so that it will need a bit more force to rotate the steering wheel?

PS - please reply to this post here because my e-mail is in transition because of a recent move.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
davemcc

Welcome to Chrysler/Gemmer power steering systems since 1953...the lightest and the worst road feel of any system until the late '70s. However, it has consistantly been one of the most reliable. I remember commenting to a friend after test driving a new Plymouth Fury in 1968 for a driver's ed class: "There doesn't appear to be anything connected to the other end of the Pittman arm, but the car somehow knows where to go!" One could accurate describe Chrysler's power steering in this way up until the mid 1980s.

No. That's just the way the Chrysler/Gemmer system evolved...very high assist and zero road feel. Consumer's Union railed against Chrysler's lack of road feel for many years, but many customers seemed to like it, much like they liked Ford's overly assisted power disc brakes in the '60s. I remember it was VERY easy to lock up all four wheels on a '66 T-bird with the Bendix two piston calipers and HUGE Bendix vacuum unit!

Reply to
NudoCrusher

heads up folks...

"crusher"= DESERTBOB