Expansion Valve 2001 Town & Country LXI 3.8L

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi with the 3.8L engine. I'm replacing the A/C Expansion valve that is mounted on the rear of the engine compartment on the firewall. I've been struggling to find an identical replacement where the hole location for the sensor matches identically. The original has the port hole on the small opening. The replacement has the port on the larger opening. Was there a change in design? Does anyone think the replacement will work?

Reply to
jgourley96

Is the new one an OEM part or aftermarket?

No, I don't think the replacement will work.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The new one is aftermarket. I've checked with 3 autoparts stores (NAPA, Advance & Autozone) and none of them carry an identical replacement. I plan to check with the dealer tomorrow to see what they would provide.

Reply to
jgourley96

Why not purchase the MOPAR replacement part ?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I was trying to get the vehicle back on the road before Monday and the Dealership was closed. Just thought I'd post to see if anyone knew of a re-design or if the temperature sensor was found to work better on the other port. Thanks for the response.

Reply to
jgourley96

Ok - the MOPAR replacement part has the port hole on the large opening also. The dealership mentioned that this sensor controls the compressor. Does anyone know why Chrysler changed this from the high pressure side to the low pressure side?

Reply to
jgourley96

Final update - if you replace the factory expansion valve, you will have to replace the temperature sensor also. The factory sensor will not fit on any replacement expansion valve. The Chrysler garage seems to be the only place that sells the valve with the temperature sensor already attached ($90).

Reply to
jgourley96