Here's the relevant part of a post I made a couple weeks ago on this topic:

From: Daniel J. Stern Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.chrysler Subject: Re: Plymouth Acclaim purchase advice

A Spirit/Acclaim in good condition with the 2.5/auto is a *very* solid buy.

Given the choice between trusting a basically-sound '95 Acclaim and trusting a basically-sound Taurus of *any* model year, I'd trust the Acclaim first, every time. The likelihood of any kind of stranding failure is just far lower in the Acclaim. The Tauruses tend to have electrical problems and transmission problems that render them rather untrustworthy, in my experience.

I sold my '92, with the 2.5/auto, when it had 264,000 km on it. The engine was beginning to get a little tired, as was the driver's seat. I miss that car, should've freshened the engine and driver's seat and kept driving it. I bought it with 198,000 km on it (from a family member who'd bought it with 110,000 km on it), put an exhaust system and set of shocks/struts on it, and drove it 66,000 of the least-expensive, most-reliable KMs I've ever driven any car. It *never* stranded me, *never* failed to start,

*never* gave me even the barest hint that it could not be trusted to take me wherever, whenever, and get me back home.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I agree with Daniel. Great car with the 2.5 and 3-speed auto. Another good thing about it is that with its conservative styling it tended to be favoured by the senior citizen set, so you might still find pampered examples even though it ceased production in 1995. In 96 I bought an 89 which had only been used to drive to Florida in the winter, and aside from a little sun fading on the upholstery looked like it was new.

Plymouth Acclaim is the same car, so include it in your search.

Reply to
Dave Gower

They made them in '89? I don't see them mentioned in the 1989 FWD car service manual.

Either way they are a tough reliable car. I still see all sorts on the road in good condition (except some have peeling paint). I know someone that bought one used 8 months old in 1992 for a really depreciated price. He still drives it every day.

Reply to
Bill 2

Yes, I had an 89 Acclaim for 10 years. Great little car.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting