Is there a reliablity problem with the Hemi?

This month's Consumer Reports says that the V8 in the 300C is very unreliable. I haven't had a single problem of any sort with my 300C but I only have 8000 miles on it so it's a little early to tell. The Hemi is a cast iron engine and it's working at a much smaller percentage of it's maximum power then a small engine so I would have thought it would be very reliable. Is there really a reliability issue or is Consumer Reports wrong?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I wouldn't worry about it. The hemi also came all optioned up including a new designed transmission. All it would take is one mistake affecting just the hemi in early runs and the hemi ends up with a poorer survey result than the 6 cylinder. In fact, wasn't the factory stopped a few times shipping hemis? If a few bad ones got to customers before deliveries were stopped to correct the problem, that could be enuf to mess up the numbers.

It will take a couple of years before you really know what you got, reliability wise. Of course by then, Chrysler will probably have a brand new design based on a clean slate. Now wonder they can't get their quality up to Toyota and Honda levels. Those guys use evolution to design vehicles. Chrysler uses revolution design techniques.

Reply to
Art

General Schvantzkoph wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Consumer Reports: New = Untested = Unreliable

Reply to
Joe

Condemner Retards says all kinds of stupid crap.

But...but...but it *must* be true! Consumer Reports _said_ it!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I work at a chry/jeep dealer and have seen ZERO problems with this engine.

Reply to
fore40

Just dont over rev them, notorious for valve float...crunch!..super chips allow for over rev.. thats a big problems with them

Reply to
Scott S.

What do you mean by super chips? Is this some third party firmware modification for the engine computer?

When you say over rev are you talking about something that you can do just by flooring the accelerator pedal or is it something that only happens if you've hacked the car's firmware?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

No, Consumer Reports: American = Unreliable

Reply to
Steve

Having owned an Avalon and a 300M, I am always looking at Toyota and Chrysler newsgroups. Judging by the number of questions here and the number of questions on the Toyota groups, it sure looks like Chryslers have a lot more problems, or Toyota owners don't know how to use a computer.

Reply to
Art

Or maybe Toyota owners don't even bother themselves with talking about technical problems with their cars on web-forums/usenet, but instead they simply shlep themselves over to their dealer and have a latte while their car gets fixed.

Reply to
MoPar Man

You can throw European cars in there as well since none made their recent list.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I believe they rather discuss Politics ;-)

The Avalon, while nice, has not made the mark in reliability according to those experts at CR.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

latte?

At the Lexus dealers only ;-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

My Toyota dealer built himself a showcase building and has free bottled water and pastries for everyone coming thru for service and sales.

Reply to
Art

First year is average in each new model, second year was better than average. When I filled out the Consumer Reports surveys on the Avalon I destroyed it. Notwithstanding, most people must have been positive about it.

Reply to
Art

*FWAP*

Reply to
Hachiroku

Um, it was completely designed and built in the US.

It was the first Toyota made that way.

The MR2 was desined in the US (all versions) but made in Japan (all versions).

US made Camrys have more problems than Japanese ones.

Not trying to knock anybody, just my observations (I used to work at a Toyota dealer. The Jap made cars would mainly come in for maintenance, the US made cars were coming in more for repairs...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I try. there are a few knowledgable people there, but the few that REALLY knew their stuff have gone. A couple check in once in a while, but most have left.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well yeah! The Japs said to themselves "Hey - we've got some design problems on this one - we better send it over to the U.S. to be built so they will get the blame for 'poor build quality'". :)

Bill Putney

He was also talking about Camry's..... some of which were made in the US and some were made in Japan. The US ones required more repairs in his experience. Consumer Reports has disputed this in the past.

Reply to
Art