Hemi Not a Hemi

Automobile Magazine's Don Sherman is finally bold enough to write the truth: Chrysler's much-vaunted new "Hemi" really isn't anything more than marketing hype:

-- Greg Beaulieu snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Reply to
Greg Beaulieu

Regardless, the performance is exceptional and that is what matters.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

Recent tests of pickups suggest that the Ford's 150 non-hemi outperformed the Chrysler pickup. In other, a good motor is a good motor and hemi in itself is pure hype.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

That's okay, the Ford truck V8 isn't actually a mythical sea-god, and the outgoing Magnum engine ran on gas, not champagne or gunpowder.

Reply to
Jack Baruth

Depending on how anal-retentive you want to be, the 60s 426 Hemi wasn't a "Hemi" either. The combustion chamber was tilted relative to the axis of the cylinder, and the valve angles were not equal.

BIG DEAL. Despite minor modifications to improve flame propagation and emissions, its still a hemi-head engine.

Reply to
Steve

Unfortunately, the Ford Modular v8 is NOT a "good motor" by any stretch of the imagination. It has been whipped and beaten into an engine that is reasonably serviceable- a process that has taken 10+ years and more revisions than anyone can keep track of, but that is hardly the record of a "good" engine.

Here's an article, written by admitted Chevy fans, that describes the engineering advantages of the Chrysler 5.7L "Hemi" v8 in great detail. It comes out better than the GM LS-6 Very much worth the read:

And by the way, in the 4th picture from the top on the left hand side, you can clearly see the "deviation" from a true Hemi head that the idiot in the first article is so worked up about. Again I say, BIG DEAL. A little filling-in was done on the sides making the chamber more elliptical- its still much more nearly a Hemi than either a wedge or a pent-roof chamber.

Reply to
Steve

Hmm,

I don't know about the Modular V8 but I sure wish someone at Ford would take care of that ()*&T(^$ piston slap that I had on my '00 and now on my '03 Expedition.

Ken

outperformed

Reply to
NJ Vike

It's pretty obvious what the purpose of calling it a "hemi" is. Isn't it? How many times does the word "hemi" occur in that series of Durango commercials? Are you naturally mesmerized by commercials?

You've insulted the intelligence of the whole group. Here's a news flash: "Ram" is also just marketing type. It's not really a ram. It's more of a pickup truck.

Reply to
Joe

I guess that "semi hemi" just wouldn't have worked in the ads...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That's a Modular v8 (5.4, and 4.6L). Piston slap is an issue all of the makers are having to deal with as they go to short-skirt "slipper type" hypereutectic pistons in order to get a tight seal with lower losses (although you might note from that article that the Chrysler v8 addresses it at the outset with coated-skirt pistons). But NOT all the makers have had massive oil consumption issues, head castings that erode through the water jacket, lower ends breaking out of the block under heavy use, and all the other myriad things that Ford has had happen with the modular v8. It was originally designed as a *very* light-duty v8 for light cars, and at some point some bean-counter decided "hey, we could use this to replace the (more expensive to build but much stronger) Windsor small-block and use it to drag 2.5-ton Expeditions around!"

Reply to
Steve

It IS a Hemi engine in one very key regard- the valve heads move AWAY from the cylinder walls as the valve lifts off the seat. This, not the actual shape of the chamber, is the most important characteristic of a "hemi" head anyway.

Reply to
Steve

Nor would the "quadrant". 8^)

Bill Putney

Wow. You got one shoddy Ford, so you went and bought another shoddy Ford?

I think there's a bigger problem with you than there is with your Fords, and that's really saying something.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

UGH!

You mean to tell me that even GM and Chrysler have them as well?

The service manager Ford/Toyota had stated that some Toyota SUVs have them too.

Does this mean the engine won't last as long?

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

What? One vehicle and your through with the company for life? I happen to have enjoyed the '00 Expy up until it reached 50K. When I questioned the dealer about the situation, he stated that there were problems from '97 - '99 and that the new ones should not have this problem. They also said that this is normal and I sold the vehicle. Later I'm learning that this is normal and happens in other vehicles.

In addition, there was nothing that Chrysler, GM or Toyota offered that was better for that year, IMO. That's not to say that the Expy was a great choice but that the others had fell short on my list of options.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I've been bitten hard enough by enough different Fords to say "NEVER again". Same goes for VW.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

LOL!

Aren't you the guy who said, "Wow. You got one shoddy Ford, so you went and bought another shoddy Ford?"

So, how many did YOU buy before you realized "there's a bigger problem with you than there is with your Fords." Not to mention the VWs, LOL!

Reply to
doc

I'm the very same guy.

None. The futility of trying to keep others' foolishly-purchased Fords (and VWs) on the road clearly demonstrated to me what pieces of crap both makes are without having to waste any of my own money.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Okay. Apparently, you work on others' vehicles for free. That explains the futility. Maybe if you charged them, you'd welcome their "foolishness." Cars that don't need repairs must not be very welcome to auto technicians, unless they're either incompetent or lazy. Not that either applies to you, of course.

So, how there could be a "NEVER again" if there wasn't a first time?

Reply to
doc

Well, they say that a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a really wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Bill Putney