Kudos to Bill Hodgson! re: Chrysler New Yorker Headlamp Replacement

Back on February 14 2004, Bill Hodgson posted a note entitled "TIP:1994 Chrysler New Yorker Headlamp Replacement" as to how to remove the headlamp assembly for a 1994 NYer. I have a 95 NYer and needed to replace the driver's headlamp bulb after 173,000 miles.

I have the Haynes book and it was almost NO help. I was REALLY frustrated and about to give up and pay someone to do it, but thanks to BILL, I was able to get the job done.

I followed Bill's tip to pry the ball from the V-wedge on the top. Mind you, you have to be pulling on the housing to get the ball to pop out whilst prying the wedge away from the top ball. Also, he wasn't kidding about RIPPING the bottom balls out. It took quite a bit of force (I thought it would break for sure) but they finally came. To get the assembly back in , you really need to tilt the assembly about 45 degrees with it almost on top of the bottom studs. After they pop in, the top is really pretty easy. BTW, you really don't need a Torx driver for this. A medium Phillips to get off the radiator cover and medium standard (flat) blade drive to pry the top ball out of the wedge. I could have done it all with just my Leatherman!

I imagine this technique is the same for all 94-97 NYers and LHS.

Thanks Bill!

Chico

Reply to
Chico