LeBaron GTS Rear Hatch Water Leak

I'm getting water in the trunk of my 1987 LeBaron GTS. I'm pretty sure it's coming in from the top or hatch instead of underneath the car, because an inch or so of water will collect in the spare wheel well after a good heavy rain without the car being driven. This body style isn't the normal LeBaron, its the AH body, like the Lancer. If it matters, it has a power sunroof, and I'm not sure where the drain tubes from the sunroof go, and they could be the culprits, but I think it's getting in around the hatch or somewhere back there, as that's the only part that gets wet. the weather seal appears to be in good shape.

If anyone has experience in fixing this, I welcome their input

Reply to
heffron

If the seal for the rear hatch looks okay, I would suggest using a sheet of paper to check for sealing. Close the hatch on the paper where the leak is suspected. It should come out with moderate pulling, but not with ease. Another way to check is to have someone spray water around the hatch while you observe from inside. We used both these methods when I worked at dealership to make final adjustments after body work was done.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

that's a sound suggestion, I'll give it a try

Reply to
heffron

I had the same problem with my 98 Neon. In fact, that's probably why the last owner got rid of it. A month after I got it, water started sloshing into the rear seat foot wells.

Well, after much fooling around, I discovered the tail light gaskets were leaking. It's a crappy foam stuff that doesn't fit well. I gooped it up with duct sealer putty (didn't use RTV cuz I wanted to get the taillight out some day) and it hasn't leaked in the last 6 years.

jim

Rome, NY

Reply to
vandammes