! My A/C blows white steam/vapor, HELP !

This afternoon on a 20 mile trip, my 94 New Yorker started blowing something like "steam" out of the ac vents. The air was still cold, but I turned it off for about 5 minutes to see if that fixed that problem. It did, and on our way back I turned it back on to see if it'll do it again, but it didn't, it worked perfectly fine. What could that have been? Any signs of something going wrong or about to break? Thanks to those of you who know more about a/c's

Reply to
JP

It's absolutely nothing to worry about. Just as in certain temperature/humidity conditions your fridge or freezer will emit steam when you open it, so it is with your car's A/C. You don't need to fix anything or change anything you're doing/not doing, just keep driving.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What you're describing is the evaporator leaking refrigerant, something the 1st generation LH is known for. My 97 LHS started doing the same thing and it took about 3 weeks before enough refrigerant leaked out for the AC to blow warm. It cost me $3 for a seal when I had Chrysler fix it but that was only because it's a known problem and they covered it under a "secret" warranty.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It could also be water vapor. I don't know where the New Yorker was being driven, but it if was in a warm and humid locale, then it could be plain old water vapor. All of my cars have done this when the conditions were right.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Perfectly normal. The humidity and temp lined up just right to cause this.

Steve B.

Reply to
Joe

Pfft. It is not. If there were a leak large enough to cause visible vapor, there would've been additional symptoms, odors, etc.

Correlation does not imply causality.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Stats 101 from any basic text book. An excellent reminder :-)

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

My gut is refrigerant. This is exactly what happened to my 97 voyager just before I replaced the evaporator both times (Yes twice!).

Paul

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Paul Layman

"When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars . . . . "

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

Aquarius - whooo-whooo, Aquarious - dah dah dah dah - sympathy and understanding... and a bunch of other new age horse hockey... 8^)

Bill Putney