VIN Location 93 Shadow

I have to tell you, this used 93 Shadow I bought has turned into a nightmare. I took it for state inspection and it passed everything, except the VIN plate was mounted upside down (actually its the mirror image). The guys at the inspection station told me I need to take it to the State Police and have it cleared, and if it's stolen they take possession of the car and I lose it (understandable).

What I would like to know is if anyone knows where the other VIN is located so I can check it before I show up at the police station with a stolen car...lol.

I ran a carfacts check on it and the car has been in this area since it was first purchased. It was also in a front impact accident, which may explain the flipped VIN plate. It's very weird. You would think with something that important that either the thief or the mechanic would have put it on correctly. It doesn't appear to have been tampered with. The rivets look original.

Apparently, there are two other locations for VIN's that only the authorities know about. That is too cool. Kinda James Bond-ish.

Reply to
Shane

Check under the drivers seat there should be a paper there with your VIN on it. The paper is usually tucked in the springs, check your driver side of the engine it also should have your VIN, midway down on the unibody frame will also have your VIN.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Hmmm - if it turns out to be stolen, and Carfax didn't reveal that fact, doesn't their guarantee cover the cost of the vehicle.

Bill Putney

What usually happens when a vehicle is front end wrecked, it is totaled and junked. Then the dash is removed and switched with a stolen vehicle along with the VIN tag it is easy to duplicate the OEM pop rivets on the VIN tag, throw the dash back on a stolen same color car and you got yourself a legal car. The only way to get a VIN tag upside down is by remove it and reinstall it in this case the wrong way. Although very suspicious it does happen and when you take to the Police they will let you know if it has been stolen.

The other reason would be that when the vehicle was wrecked the dash was replaced and they removed the VIN tag and just placed it upside down.

Also, there two more areas on a vehicle where the VIN is located besides the two I had mentioned. Most vehicles after 1985 have 3-4 places where the VIN is located. After 1990 the VIN has on some high end vehicles has been embedded as a hologram and unless you know where to look you will never find it.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

If you have a *clear* vehicle title, it should have the VIN printed on it on it. It should also be listed on the back of the warranty booklet, if it is still with the owners manual. That info had to be be filled in to activate the original warranty.

The VIN may also be listed on a sticker on the driver's side door, just below the latch.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Not sure about the Shadow but most cars have the VIN on a plate under the hood, & somewhere on the frame rails. Some cars also have them stamped on the top of the inner fender, but you have to unbolt the fender to see it. Search at Yahoo, Google, & the ODP (

) using differentterms like "Shadow VIN locations" & "Dodge Shadow identification". ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I checked the VIN on the drivers door and it matched. I couldn't find any other numbers to compare.

I really doubt that it was stolen. The thief would be real dumb to put the VIN on upside down. But, I fully expect this to be a pain in the butt with the police. They will probably want me to get it put on correctly, and that looks like a REAL fun job.

A for the carfacts guarantee, if the title and VIN are legit, but the car it's on is not legit, than they wouldn't know the difference. So, I don't think it's covered, but if I find out its stolen, I will certainly try it! lol

I've got about $1400 into this car, and it's in great shape for a 93, all it needs is a paint job. Another $700-800, and I should have a decent car. I know it's a bit much for that old of a car, but hey, it's been fun. Live and learn.

Thanks! Shane

Reply to
Shane

Open the driver's door and look at its rear edge, near the latch catch. From the factory, all vehicles have a tamper-evident VSCL (Vehicle Safety Certification Label) that contains the VIN.

The guy who thinks there is a "piece of paper with the VIN on it under the seat" is smoking crack.

Factually incorrect. There are *many* other locations for the VIN: Inside the doors, inside the hood and trunk panel, front and rear bumper, and numerous others as required by Federal law.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're gonna want to fix that plate whether they require it or not. Any time you get stopped it could be a major hassle, & your car could be towed. Get a good manual & *expect* to spend a good day pulling the dash, drilling out the rivets, & riveting it back on. If it takes less time then you'll be very pleased. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, it was written:

Remove windshield (if it wants replacing, now's a great time) Remove defogger grille cover, exposing VIN plate and plate bracket Repair upside-down VIN plate Reinstall windshield.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

From

Common locations of the vehicle identification number vary and some may be as follows:

a.. Firewall of the vehicle b.. Left hand inner wheel arch c.. Steering column d.. Radiator Support Bracket e.. Dash by windshield f.. Drivers door or post or passenger side g.. Guarantee & Maintenance Book Vehicle documents h.. Machined Pad on front of engine i.. Component parts as listed above -e.g.- engine, frame, etc. Later model years - most common area's of VIN:

  • Left instrumentation/dash plate by window
  • Drivers door or post
  • Firewall

From

Each manufacturer and each manufacturing plant stamp each vehicle with a "third VIN" that is normally only 10 digits but can verify the vehicle's ID. On GM vehicles, look for it along the rocker panel under the carpet on the left side just in front of the drivers seat. Jaguar, look for it along the rear frame cross member, left side. any vehicle with a separate frame will have it stamped into it, however it is normally along the top of the rail and you will normally need a mirror to see it. Some foreign vehicle have it stamped into the "frame rail" just behind the transmission. If you know a State Trooper that deals with vehicles he will be able to give you an area to look for the stamped VIN.

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Is it blue or gray/white?

Reply to