Citroen in the News

Page 1 of 2
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1200003.htm
<quote> A British man has spent four hours holding a rusty piece of metal he feared was an unexploded World War Two bomb that would detonate if he
let go only to be told he had been cradling part of an old car.
British newspapers say David Page spoke to an emergency operator on his mobile phone, as police, fire and ambulance crews rushed to the east England workyard where the terrified 40-year-old had dug up the device.
He says the police operator kept telling him everything would be okay, but he had to remind her she was not the one holding the bomb.
The drama ended when army disposal experts turned up and told him the bomb was actually part of the hydraulic suspension system from a Citroen. </quote>
Also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/15/nbomb15.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/09/15/ixhome.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1304941,00.html
:-D
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
Rondom sigs
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:21:06 +0200, 2Rowdy wrote:
snip

I saw pictures on the BBC TV news; you can see why he thought it was a grenade or something (metal casing with a spring-loaded lever) - but you have to wonder, if he thought that, why did he pick it up and then squeeze the lever? Apparently, he managed to get some sticky tape to bind his hand to the thing so that his thumb wouldn't slip off the lever - so why not just use the tape and release his hand entirely? Not someone to rely on in a crisis!
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

So which bit actually was it?
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3657984.stm
Seems to suggest a sphere, but the spring loaded lever?
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
CAS ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Made up? Some reports say the "button" - which would be the filling plug.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< inspired me,

This puzzeles me <quote> The bowling ball-sized item was later found to be part of a hydraulic suspension system from a car or a tractor. </quote>
Tractor? Are those spheres also used on tractors? <Looks like a normal Cit sphere to me>
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail

IHUMFA
‚úĖ
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, they are. JCB's Fastrac uses Cit hydraulics under licence. I suspect, though, that it's more a case of "well, it was found on a farm, so it's probably tractor" from the same journo that invented the spring loaded lever...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< gurgled happily, sounding much

Haha, there is logic in that :-)
--
Johan; Certifiable me
Reply to Hotm ail
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:22:01 +0100, CAS wrote:
snip

Perhaps an unrelated bit of scrap metal? That article does say 'button', so there's obviously some confusion somewhere.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:27:06 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

My brother saw the "bomb" on the tele and apparently it looked exactly like a suspension sphere, the guy said he removed a plastic cap from the end which I guess must have been the cover to stop dirt getting into the sphere or the threads getting damaged. He then says he pressed the "button".....
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
hissing ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It'll have been recharged at some stage, then, with a one-way valve replacing the plug, and a dirt cover over the valve.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:22:51 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

Well, the incident occurred about 5 miles down the road from where I live, and this ain't Kansas, it is Norfolk ;)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< inspired me,

You should be more careful where you drop your spheres :-)
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
Wie moet op de news:alt.nl.schandpaal belanden?
‚úĖ
hissing ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ght... Have you been disposing of any spheres lately?

There's a difference? Flat, inbred, odd accent, backwards...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< gurgled happily, sounding much like they

That's why you hid in Dakar?
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
By replying to this message you agree to the regulations written
‚úĖ
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ellie went to Uni in Norwich, but that's about as far as my link to the place goes.
"Toto! I don't think we're in the fens any more..."
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< gurgled happily, sounding much

Euh, there's a military college there, , http://www.norwich.edu/default.htm <or is that another Norwich?>
Norwich seems like a nice place. http://www.norwich.gov.uk/site_files/pages/Home.html The see on bicycle distance. Must be worth a visit. Come to think about it, what's a norwitch?

:-)
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
Tired of the Yahoo Cit Group? ViCit www.aaCit.net
‚úĖ
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Probably.
www.uea.ac.uk seems more likely...

You've never been there, have you?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Message i.d.:< gurgled happily, sounding much

Aah.
No. But if I would go it would be on vacation. And during a vacation I like anything. Even the roadblock I caused with my BX in Grasse, France. Makes great tales :-) I even liked Tilshead (at least I think I was there). That's a place where there is nothing for miles around.
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
Tired of the Yahoo Cit Group? ViCit www.aaCit.net
‚úĖ
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:38:15 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Norwich is a pretty decent place (actually, it must be as it has a decent Citroen main dealer with people who knew what I was burbling on about when I was asking questions about my Activa over the phone!) it could be much worse though, it could be up north!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ