My Car

Can't really think of anything to say about it really; just trying to restore the balance against the spam, a little.

It's parked on the street, as usual. (The car, that is). I don't use it often, but I expect it will start first time as usual when I do use it next - as long as I get around to it before the on-board security device has drained the battery and I have to buy yet another new one.

I got quite a long way on the last tankful of diesel - London to Cornwall and half way back again - which was quite pleasing.

I would like to get some of the dents mended. They are an inescapable consequence of parking on the street around here; I don't think the neighbours know how to park without bumping into things.

Reply to
Whiskers

Aaah you must live near me. Or have similar neighbours. Annoying isn't it. you can kick yourself if ou do knock it or scratch it yourself but when someone else does it, over night, when you're parked, well within a space, on a straight bit of road. grrrr...

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

I suspect the White Van tribe.

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Cis doesn't honour my cancels. Since yesterday the server I use for cancels is off-line.

A long drive indeed. Next time plan a stop and a long walk near Lulworth. Towards Lulworth Cove. Great site. If you are there anyway. A little bit further is Weymouth. Visit pebble beach. On the way back have a meal in World's End between Almer and Winterbourne (A31).

A bulbar for a ZX. That's a thought.

Reply to
2Rowdy

Rob Beech (rob(remove)@cnics.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Lemme think...

I've come back to the XM in the supermarket car park - to find a trolley still resting neatly in a dent in the rear wing.

I've sat in the living room and watched a little ol' lady reverse straight out of the drive opposite into the side of the XM. "Sorry, I didn't see it!"

Oh, yes, and then there's the scraped and dented other rear wing - that was my own 2cv van - on a solid towing pole... I thought we were parking on this side the road, she thought we were parking on that side.

Reply to
Adrian

Co-operative Insurance Society?

If you mean the server formerly known as cis.dfn.de, they never honour cancel messages apart from those sent from the same account as the original article - and many servers ignore all cancels anyway, so that isn't an effective ploy against spam.

You can try complaining to the server used for posting the offending articles, but that isn't always going to work.

'Block sender' and 'message rules' (I think that's what they are called) are the way Outlook Express can be made to filter out some of the rubbish; the general term is 'plonk' or 'killfile'.

Well, I did stop off in Cornwall for a week or two ... ;))

The whole of that bit of coast is worth seeing; it's been classed as one of the world's natural wonders and is now 'marketed' as 'the Jurassic Coast' (because of all the fossils in the rocks). I would use Lyme Regis as a 'centre' for exploring that area.

I confess that I don't know that road; Dorset is usually just something to get past on the way to and from other places, for me.

I have lost count of the number of times I've driven past Stonehenge (often in the dark) and thought 'I'll stop off and have a look one of these days'.

It would have to go right around the car.

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Change jobs!

I hate that. I've got a number of newsgroups under my care and those servers trash my hard work.

That tall guy in the limestone, something standing out, is near there as well. Not really worth a visit. The nature is.

Shame on you! Dorset is great. I know. I have been there a few times. It helps when family lives there. Want to borrow an ante?

Just a number of big bricks between roads. 10 minutes, a quick run, is sufficient to fulfill the obligation.

Just a single one to protect that beast of yours.

Reply to
2Rowdy

owning 3 Relays, 4 Merc Sprinters and 2 Merc Atego 823's i really can't say anything. Well i can.....you're probably right, only i can drive all of them :) without hitting them. I just admit due to the height of the dent on the drivers door of my xantia i think it was a van... only its blue.. not white......

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

To be fair, Individual.net (cis.dfn.de as was) do impose a reasonable posting limit on their customers, which is a strong deterrent against sending spam, and they have pretty effective filters on their incoming peering feeds which mean that their users don't see anything like as much garbage as is propagated by some servers. They also cancel accounts very quickly if they get valid complaints about breaches of their terms.

Tall guy in the limestone? Do you mean one of the chalk-cut figures such as ? Some are more interesting than others.

(I take issue with the comment on that page "The Celts first came to Britain in 500BC bringing with them their style of pagan worship."; I prefer the idea that social, technological, artistic, and religious, ideas and practices spread and mixed around Europe, rather than tribes invading and conquering each other - although that doubtless happened too. The label of 'celts' was used by the Greeks to lump together the 'barbarians' north and west of the mediterranean coast who probably didn't see themselves as a single culture or society).

Aunty? Well, I am an Uncle ...

That's my heritage you're belittling >>:})=(>>

The disposable wooden or rubber 'rubbing strakes' on barges are looking quite sensible right now. Or armour plating.

Reply to
Whiskers

I think part of the problem is that I live in a 'close' with only one way in and out, and only just wide enough for two vehicles to pass - so with half the width taken up by parked cars, there isn't much room to manoeuvre and everyone has to go to the wide bit at the end to turn around, or reverse in or out. Add to that the proximity of Tottenham Hotspurs' home ground and dents are only to be expected. My ZX isn't the only one to suffer.

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

It's a good server. Well worth the money.

Yep. That's the guy.

I'm a Celt?

She's not that well glued together anymore.

Sorry, but it's the truth. This is our herritage.

as boring.

But that hold the risk that your driving attitude changes.

Reply to
2Rowdy

Well, when one has been lying on a hillside for a few millenia, one's entertainment quotient tends to decline.

Possibly; or a Hun or a German, or a mix, as are we all these days.

Neither am I, as it happens.

Only if you weren't properly introduced ;)) The earthwork ring is the largest single feature, about 125 meters across, and the Avenue is still easily followed for about 1km - and there are traces showing that it was once considerably longer. The whole complex includes numerous tombs as well as many standing stones well outside the famous 'hanging stones' circles.

Impressive. Those giants seemed to tolerate quite lumpy beds

You mean, I might start bashing into things as carelessly as some other people?

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Oh dear, what have I started.

It's in a fork of the road. Uninteresting hills around. There isn't even a pub near. When we were there we were the only visitors, it was that crowded. There was a guard though. Probably scrared we would start dancing around, naked.

There is just one stonehenge. So Stonehenge is less boring as 50 odd similar big stone circles.

[bullbars and other protective gear]

Now you are running to get those rubber pads?

Reply to
2Rowdy

snip

I don't like sticking to things. Especially other peoples' cars (mine's a ZX ).

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Me wrong. Sorry.

Reply to
2Rowdy

No problem; I didn't go out today so no AXs were stuck to by me ;))

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Heh :-)

Reply to
2Rowdy