Really REALLY soft brakes and inoperative parking brake, just replaced a bunch of stuff

I just overhauled my rear drum brakes and now the car's brakes are almost inoperable. The brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and offers very little stopping power, and the parking brake does nothing at all. I've tried adjusting the parking brake with no luck. I can see the cable moving the brakes.

I replaced the shoes, all hardware, and the wheel cylinders. I'm guessing i need to bleed the brakes now? And do I need to adjust the brakes, or will they adjust themselves?

Thanks

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

sounds like you got a bunch of air in them when you replace wheel cylenders...so bleed both rear brakes and really wouldn't hurt to bleed front either..but but you defantly got air in rear brakes still.....

Reply to
Scrapper

If you haven't yet, then yes.

I don't trust self adjusters. I would adjust the brakes manually.

nate

Reply to
N8N

yes

Why don't you post the year, make and model? Or do you have the insane notion that every car ever made is exactly the same?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

forgot to mention, disconnect the e-brake entirely before adjusting the brakes. then loosen the e-brake adjustment before reconnecting, and then adjust the e-brake per the book. the reason I suggest this is you don't want a too-tight e-brake adjustment messing with your star wheel adjustment.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Masospaghetti wrote in news:ene5q1$npu$1@news- int2.gatech.edu:

You replaced the wheel cylinders and you haven't bled the brakes? If so, then you've got a *ton* of air in the lines.

If the above is true, then absolutely!

Besides manual take-up adjustment by clicking the star-wheel over with a screwdriver...some brakes adjust only when you step on the pedal while moving backwards, others adjust using the parking brake.

What kind of car have you got?

Reply to
Tegger