Xantia 1.8 16v Engine

Hello all;
Today I purchased a 1996 Xantia 1.8 16v. However, the engine appears to be rather underpowered for a 112hp. I even had to go into second gear to get up
a hill near my house. The old ZX TD was a lot quicker than this, so I assume there must be a problem somewhere. Does anyone else know of this problem or what it might be? After all, this is supposed to be a performance engine!
Any help appreciated,
Moger

Performance engine says it all: you need to rev it to get the hp out. The 1.8 16V has maximum torque above the revs where the 1.9 TD has maximum power! The Xantia is also more than 100 kg heavier and that's noticable when you go up a hill.
But apart from that: how's acceleration, top speed. It should do 0-100 km/h in about 11 s and get to 194 km/h. Any chance of testing that?
Maarten
--
When replying privately, rot13 the e-mail address

Thanks, I will try testing the top speed and 0-100. Could be tricky, but I'll let you know. Cheers!
Moger

Moger Roore ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not a diesel, don't drive it like one. Give it some revs - you'll only knock the bottom end out of the poor thing trying to slog it around at 1500- 2000 rpm. Drive it like a petrol engine, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how zippy it is.
A 1.8 16v Xant certainly isn't a "performance" car or engine - you're about 10-15 years behind, thinking of 16v like that - it's used for efficiency rather than outright oomph.
Interesting answers, thanks. I have actually noticed that it responds better at high revs, but then my girlfriend complains and tells me that I'm "over revving"! Do I really need to push it into the red to make it go faster? I was thinking that it's maybe a badly adjusted ECU? Tired engine? Both? (80,000km)
Keep them answers coming!
Also, on the radio, what is the little hole for with "CD" written above it? A jack? Moger

Has it been serviced recently ? Eg, plugs, air filter etc. If not, this could be taking the edge off the performance.

Yes, to plug a personal CD player in.

Going from a diesel to a 16V petrol can take some getting used to. I drove a non turbo diesel BX for years and one day I borrowed a friend's BX GTi 16V for a while. I was very disappointed, nearly 100 bhp more and I couldn't believe how slow and gutless it felt compared to the diesel version - then I realised I wasn't taking the engine above 2000 rpm !
Nick

I can second that. I was used to 110hp Passat TDI when I got a Alfa Romeo Spider (rental). I don't really know if it was a 1.8 (144hp) or 2.0 (155hp) but I was appalled at the bad performance of that car. I just couldn't believe it. Until I got it above 4500 rpm, and that was the only way to drive it. Even accelerating from 100 km/h onward was going too slow to do in 5th.
OTOH: I have a ZX with the 1.8 8V. That car can be driven like a diesel. No need to touch 3000 rpm except when on the highway. Around towns I gurgle about at 1500 rpm in 5th, only to shift back to 3rd to take a turn.
Maarten
--
When replying privately, rot13 the e-mail address

Again, interesting answer. I'm going to try revving a little higher in future. I'll let you know how it goes on.
Moger.

What about a Picasso 90 bhp HDI, I made a testdrive last week and this car wasn't really fast. My 306 Break 1.9D feels much faster. I always take the engine-speed to red area of the rpm meter, keeps the car fast, instead of making the engine tired. I hope that the 406 break 90 bhp HDI is faster that the Picasso. I have choosen for this car as a companycar. Over 10 to 12 weeks it will be delivered, than we wil see.