Xantia TD water thermostat

Hello All, I'm due to change the thermostat on my Xantia 1.9 TD 1994. I was reasonably happy after looking at the Haynes Manual on how I needed to attack it. (details how to remove the fuel filter container to get at the thermostat housing) I've ordered the part for the local dealer (Bristol Street Motors, Nottm) and when I mentioned removing the fuel filter the guy said I didn't need to do that.

Has anyone any experience replacing a thermostat on this model. Looking at mine the fuel filter sits on top of the housing so I still assume it needs to come off. Perhaps it will be more obvious when I see the thermostat.

Any guidance will be gratefully received. Neil

Reply to
neil

next time you need parts (for any car) try sutton autospares on lillington road, bulwell NG6 8HJ. Tel : 0115 964 7600 they are much cheaper than bristol street or any main dealer.

not done a stat on a xantia so beyond the tip I've given above I'm unable to help. stats are usually really easy though and I'm sure that either adrian or slim will be allong to advise in due course.

Reply to
.

Reply to
neil

can't you cancel the order with BS motors ? I would LOL

Reply to
.

neil wrote:

ah well, you'll know for again !

Reply to
.

Reply to
neil

Hi Neil.

To change this from memory!!

You can only see 2 of the bolts holding the thermostat housing.

To get to the third, remove the top of the fuel filter and take the fuel filter out. Drain the fuel bowl Remove the bolt in the centre at the bottem of the fuel bowl. Remove the fuel bowl The 3rd bolt for the thermostat housing is under the fuel bowl.

Be carefull, if i remember right, the bolts are not too strong and have a habit of snapping off.

Regards. Slim.

Reply to
Slim

Thanks Slim I'll remember the tip, whenever the weather gets a bit better.

Neil

Reply to
neil

Just about what he says. The only thing I'd add is don't forget to bleed the system when you refill it. The whole job's really easy.

Reply to
Malc

For those who may be interested I have changed the thermostat, not very difficult at all. (whew)

On mine it was a case of taking off the top hose fixing at the thermostat housing end and then popping out the old thermostat. I didn't need to remove the fuel filter canister as suggested by the Haynes Manual.

The most annoying bit so far is being hailed on about 12:00 midday and everything I had out got wet through. Just taking a break now after standing waiting for the cooling system to fill. Not quite right at the moment I don't think as the temp is on 90 degrees when it has normally been around 80 degrees. (think I may have an air lock) Just a bit more fiddling should crack it.

Neil

Reply to
neil

Sorry got the temp wrong, now around 80 it used to be around 70 degrees.

Reply to
neil

Looks like I have managed to complete the task OK, new thermostat is fitted and the system filled. I have found two bleed valves, one on the top pipes at a "T" piece above the engine and the other on the heater pipe at the bulkhead. Should I be looking for anymore or is that it does anyone know.

Thanks for all the help/advice so far it allowed me to do the job without any surprises.

Thanks again. Neil

Reply to
neil

I don't remember more than two. It's dark now so I can't check.

Reply to
Malc

Thanks for the reply Malc, I get water out of the two I've found. Perhaps when you get the chance you can let me know how many you can find on yours. Mine is a 1994 1.9 TD.

Reply to
neil