1974 international harvester

i bought my son a 1974 International Harvester so he could fix it up and have something to occupy his time while he recovers from a serious illness.... he is having problems getting it inspected. the main issue is
the emergency brake. in tennessee, it is required that the emergency brake work (don't know why, it is flat as heck out here in the western part). does anyone have any idea about how to tighten an emergency brake line? i am illiterate when it comes to vehicles, i put gas in them and go...
any help would be gratefully appreciated..
linda
The Emergency system is cable operated. Many of these trucks had a lever that flipped up to secure the brakes. If the top of the lever has a knurled knob, that is the first adjustment to take the slack from the cable system. There may also be another stud w/ a nut adjuster under the vehicle, where the single cable joins the two the the rear brakes. If you can't take all the slack out of the cable system, you probably need new rear brakes. They almost never get checked. Regards, FX
Linda wrote:

many thanks,Frank. i will tell him what you suggested. he will enjoy fixing when he feels like getting around.. many thanks again... linda

http://www.oldihc.com
A place for folks with old International Harvester trucks..
it is free to register on... you provide a 'user id' and a email addy which you can choose to hide from the public.
Then you can post messages and ask questions.
Lots of old IHC trucks folks on there.
I suggest ya get on over there and get to know some people.
:)
It is a good bunch of folks.
-W
-Woogeroo
------------------------------------------------ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com <- remove NOBS to send email. ------------------------------------------------
Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:
http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp /
smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
OOOPS!
I gave you the wrong URL, this is the correct one:
http://www.oldihc.org /
sorry about that.
-W
-Woogeroo
Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:
http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp /
smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
much abliged!!! so many thanks.. my son is very sick and when he feels better on those rare days, i like for him to have something to play with... so i bought him this old IH truck he could fix up and kick around in whenhe feels like it.... i drove it to the doctor the other day (yes, i did.. i had to.. my car was in the shop and i needed to go, and i was illegal tags and all).. and on the way there, a truck pulled up beside me and a man asked me "how much?" and i asked him "for what?" (even at 50, i can get a look or two, not as many as before, but still.. ya know?) and he wanted to know about the truck, thought it was neat and if the light hadn't turned green, i might could have made a profit, but my son would have had a fit.. one thing about that truck, don't try to park it in a parking garage, if you don't have the strength to maneuver it in those small space with no power steering.. i almost couldn't get that truck out of that garage... but everyone was real nice as i scootched an inch up and scooched an inch back a million and one times to get in and out of that dang parking garage....whew... can;t wait til my little toyota gets out of the shop... many thanks again for the web sites.. i will give them to my son and he will bug me to death wanting money, but whats a mother for???huh?
thanks, linda
<- remove NOBS to send email.