81 Chevy truck, carburetor floods

I bought an 81 Chevy truck 305 that I've had a few problems with. It originally had a fuel problem where it would run fine, then it would stall when warm. Once it started up again it would miss and billow
black smoke from the exhaust. My first cure was to replace the gas caps, thought there was a venting problem. That didn't help so I replaced the quadrajet and manifold with a Holley 600CFM. I know thats pretty big for the engine size, but I eventually want to put a bigger motor in it. It still had the fuel problem. This truck was equipped with a charcoal cannister and whenever it stalled, gasoline would overflow from the cannister, very strange. I thought for sure it was the fuel pump when I saw that so I replace it with one with 2 fittings instead of 3 to eliminate the cannister, no luck there either. I replaced the coil for good measure, but now i'm stumped. I had a some great advice with my starting problem in this group, maybe I can get some good advice with this problem. It would be greatly appreciated.
Now it either puffs a little smoke and runs so-so or it pours out black smoke. it seems like the carb is just getting flooded with fuel.
On Aug 27, 1:48 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

--------------------------------------
ok somebody explain this. after i replaced the carb, manifold, fuel pump, coil, exhaust, and several other parts that probably needed to be replaced anyways, i still had the same flooding, stalling problem. Just now i put a pair of vice grips on the fuel line, starved it for fuel and the black smoke, blue smoke and stalling went away. go figure. before i put a fuel pressure regulator on it can someone explain why the fuel pump would flood the carburetor so bad it would stall the truck out. the mufflers and cat. converter were so packed full of carbon they would barely flow exhaust. keep in mind, i had this problem with my original fuel pump and quadrajet. very strange.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:02:51 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Bad needle valve/float sticking. Not uncommon a problem either.

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the carb? What is it?

i haven't checked it yet, i have to find a gauge first, but i'm willing to bet its way higher than its supposed to be considering how much better it runs once i restrict the gas flow. i will try to borrow a gauge tomorrow.
On Sep 11, 8:52 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

FIXED IT!!! It was a clogged exhaust! go figure!
Go figure:
With that rocket science fif of; Vise grips on the fuel line.
LOFL
RK
PS You made my day!