Austin Mini Metro 1.3 (mark II)

5 door hatch with sunroof

Light Blue with grey cloth interior

G reg (1989)

90k miles

Mot 25/11/05

Tax end Feb 06

MOT failure:

Needs some welding on rear seatbelt mount points and attention to rear suspension ball joints and rear silencer box replacing (v.cheap fix if you can weld!)

(Fail notice supplied with car, along with new V5 document and some history/BL owners manuals)

Mechanicals otherwise completely sound, well looked after, recently serviced, this has the 1275cc A+ series engine as fitted in Mini 1275gt, and can be fitted to Morris Minor/Allegro/other BL as an upgrade, a simple to maintain bullet-proof engine!

Newish tyres/distributor cap/rotor arm/plugs/leads/recent oil/filter and coolant change.

Fuel gauge sender unit doesn't work, needs replacing.

I'm genuinely sad to see such a reliable car go, cheapest motoring I've ever had! - but the MOT is tough nowadays!

FREE to any home (buyer collects -perfectly drivable until MOT expiry!)

N.B.

If you want to retain the tax, and have the brand new (4 yr g'teed Calcium £59.99) battery and stereo unit (Kenwood face off rad/cass) and Haynes manual and some spares: I want £100 for these, otherwise I'll remove them and you can take the car away for nothing!

(old battery supplied -will not keep charge!)

Ideal for welder/parts/spares/banger racing or to teach basic car maintenance/mechanicals.

Car will be scrapped by 25/11 unless a new owner comes forward.

I'm in Chippenham, Wiltshire, v.close to M4 J17 and handy to Bristol and Bath roads.

Email me for any further info/pictures!

Reply to
Timbo

Timbo ( snipped-for-privacy@chippenham58.freeserve.co.ukNOSPAM) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, wow, is this post misplaced...

Reply to
Adrian

I read it as FFS.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

can't see why it is misplaced -many people regard allegros as 'classic' now! LOL! TBH thought you guys might be interested as she has the A+ series 1275cc engine which is obv transferrable regards Timbo

Reply to
Timbo

Wandering OT a little, but I could do with an allegro estate cropped to a pickup, for delivering my v8 engines and as a general garage hack...... if anyone knows of the whereabouts of such a beast in good condition? Badger. B.H.Engineering

Badger

Sicko perv!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Nah, to be truly sick, he'd need the Vanden Plas grille on it.

Reply to
Pete M

Damn! my idea is out in the open...... hahaha. it's actually quite an under-rated car the estate, and would suit my needs for a cheap-to-run workshop hack without going down the escrot van route, I'd prefer something a little more nostalgic but at the same time capable of sitting at 60(ish). Badger.

Reply to
Badger

True!

Not sure I'd agree there. I suffered a 1.5TC version once and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I'd reckon you could make a decent looking pickup out of an Avenger estate if you had one. Do it right and it'd probable end up looking like a Marina pickup...

... except there was never a Tiger version of a Marina.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

But BL (South Africa) put the V8 in a marina and went rallying...... now, there's a thought, Marina 3.9 V8 pick-up! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Allegros are classic because a) they're old and b) there's not many left.

Metros are still just common tat and it will be a long time before they acheive classic status. And I'm not a car snob either, my sig should show that.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@FARINAb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Allegros are old and scarce because they're old and there's not many left.

"Classic"? Yes, well. That one can be argued until the cows come home.

They weren't very good when they were new, and age has not improved them.

Reply to
Adrian

My brother absolutely loved his Allegro estate. And spent ages trying to find a replacement when it became beyond economic repair. Ended up with an Ital which just wasn't as good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And frequently has been.

Not a car I've ever felt like owning. OTOH I used to say that of the A40, and they were not the best-regarded cars in the world either. Despite that it's about the most reliable car I have!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Willy Eckerslyke saying something like:

Knew a bloke who put a Lotus TC in an Avenger. Very nice it was. Bit of a street sleeper.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, I can believe that ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I was never into Rooteses (apart from the Hunter, but that didn't last long), so excuse my higgorance, but is an Avenger all that different to a Sunbeam Talbot with a boot?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

No, the Sunbeam was a cheap development as it was just an Avenger hatch essentially.

Reply to
SteveH

Right, so you just need a rusty Lotus Sunbeam and a sound Avenger estate... At which point I did a search and found a mention of the very thing:

reg though?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Willy Eckerslyke saying something like:

Yep. Used the Avenger floorpan and mechanicals. Different body panels, that's all.

That page only mentions in passing the 1.8 'Brazilian' engine which was fitted as standard to Brazilian built Sunbeams. Easily bored to 2L and drops right in to an Avenger.

The Lotus engine I mentioned was out of an Elan, so predated the factory's efforts by several years. 150bhp, iirc; certainly made that thing go well. Imo, the factory dropped a ballock by sticking to the

1500 engine for the Tiger - that really needed something special in it, like a twin cam.

The author's got it right about the handling, though. Outstanding for its day and still good in comparison to most other stuff out there if the springs and dampers aren't knackered, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon