Impossible Lamps

Does the Lund Headlamp which I am looking at, exist? I've asked everyone for months now and the name Lund has not been heard of! Its just a shallow chrome shelled 7" lamp with the bezel clamped by bolt - no markings. The lamp mounting has a riveted flange, the bulb is a large two filament 2" globe with a three pin mounting which twists in to its base. The glass has Lund Lamp cast in the middle. Ever, ever, come across one? Vincent

Reply to
vincent

I have just looked in my 1937 Motor Mechanics book, and they don't make a great issue of headlamps. Most had a lampholder screwed or riveted on, which carried a bayonet type bulb. Some fronts were screwed on, some had a bayonet type mount. Yours clearly has a clamping screw.

The things that the book does draw out as things of particular note are the various tilting reflector mechanisms, and the various lens patterns on the glass to give what was claimed to be providing the non-dazzle characteristics, either to protect oncoming drivers or to stop glare in fog. They mention specifically Lucas, Zeiss, Cadillac, Conophore, Moonbeam and Osram plus others (unnamed) "of American origin". No mention of Lund though, but I wonder if it could be the manufacturer of the front glass rather than the headlamp itself?

Alternatively, is your lamp too new for my book? All the bulbs they mention have a central contact and a metal shell which forms the other, or 2 base contacts with the metal shell unused electrically. None of their bulbs mentioned have 3 pins on the base. It also seems that the diameter of the glass envelope was an indication of wattage. A 2 inch envelope was used for

24 watts and above.

Not much help, I know. Have you tried googling for Lund to see what turns up?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

any chance of you posting a picture of the lamp in question or of the parts in question. descriptions do not always help where a picture or two can help to jog peoples memories

Reply to
bongo rule

Lund are still in business, ask them.

mrcheerful

I am very grateful for your interest gentlemen. Unfortunately the firm Lund mentioned is a large American vehicle accessory company who produce body and accessory styling kit and further to my enquiries have not produced headlamps. I have indeed spent hours ( and hours) Googling, Yahooing, MSNing and Ebaying beside emailing museums in indeavours to trace information. I would dearly like to show you three digital photos from different angles, but I am not on broadband yet; I tried to attach them to my email, waited about half an hour for an upload and gave up. If you know how to successfully do this, please tell me. Finally Jim, the lamp probably is later (40's / 50's?) The shell is unmarked, only the glass has a mark - cast in the centre, Lund Lamp. The lens glass is vertically fluted with a horizontal bulb deflector. The bulb is 1 7/8" diam.and has two contacts in the base, the earth terminal is a push in terminal in the base. It is marked Mazda gasfilled BTH Made in England 12V, 48 & 24W. It does not have pins, it has slots for the three pins in the (removable) bulb holder base. Vincent

Reply to
vincent

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "vincent" saying something like:

You will get shouted at it you attach pic files to a post here... best to put them on a website such as

and post the link to them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Definitely too new for my set of books. I have gone through the entire

6-volume set, and nowhere does it mention dual filament bulbs.

Just a thought, have you tried e-mailing the motor museums? Beaulieu and Sparkford are the obvious ones, but there is also one in Dudley that features the cars made in the Midlands that might be worth a shot (though their name escapes me at the moment). If you could find out which vehicles your headlamp was fitted to, you might have an entirely new line of enquiry, and a set of Owners Clubs you could approach.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren