Towing with a Rover

Could anyone with the relevant handbooks or makers VIN plate to hand check the maximum permissible towing weight (or max GCW) for any of the big Rovers please? (P4,P5, P6, SD1)

I'm not interested in wimpy Caravan Club 85% nonsense, and not even that bothered about how well any of them tow. I want to know what figure I could show PC Plod or the insurers as the manufacturer's limit.

-- Kevin Poole

********Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)************** B42CF, B270NZ, SA 1838, TC 8512, GAN3/48519, GAN4/63840, GHD5/324616 Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus

SD1 Vitesse User Guide gives no maximum weights, only the max downforce on the towing hitch - 45kg to 55kg.

To get towing data you need the full workshop manual AKM5343.

Maximum towing weight up a 1 in 8 gradient is 1524kg for any of the V8 SD1s. Unladen weight of car is 1458kg to 1488kg.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

The SD1 ranges from 25cwt for the 2000 to 30 for the V-8s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

PC Plod would point you to the provisions of your licence whicb AFAIK says not over 750kg for the trailer.

Reply to
Conor

I think it says this on the licence. Which presumably makes it illegal for most drivers to tow a cars on a trailer after purchase...

In reality I doubt whether this is enforced much, except perhaps if Mr Driver is wafting all over the fast lane of the M6 at 70mph.

-- Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

snipped-for-privacy@ma> > Could anyone with the relevant handbooks or makers VIN plate to hand

Being a gentleman of somewhat mature years, I passed my driving test rather earlier than 1997. According to the dvla

"All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM."

A bit rich, certainly in the matter of driving licences, perhaps?

Thanks to Dave and Michael for their more helpful answers. It looks like I'm stuck with using the Rangey for the car trailer, unless I stick to carrying toy cars.

-- Kevin Poole

********Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)************** B42CF, B270NZ, SA 1838, TC 8512, GAN3/48519, GAN4/63840, GHD5/324616 Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus

Wehey - thanks for that Kevin. I thought I was breaking (sorry bending) the law every time I loaded my box trailer with concrete slabs! Being of the same pre-97 pass group, I can now smirk quietly in the sure knowledge that I'll only get done for my home-made "reflective" (yellow card) number plate on the light board.

-- Ken Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@removehotmail.com remove remove to email

Reply to
DocDelete

Strange - the EFI one gives the maximum trailer weights on the last page before the index - just below the tow hitch loading.

It says 3360lb (1524kg) for one with brakes or 1653 (750) without.

My figures for the range came from a 1984 Rover cars brochure I had been looking at. It talks proudly about the brand new Metro...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , DocDelete writes

This may not be relevant but I'm pretty sure that: (trailer + load) > 750kg needs to be braked.

Reply to
Jamie

If the trailer weight (trailer and load) exceeds 750kg it must be over-run braked (minimum)

If the trailer is heavier than 3500kg then it must be power braked. This however, is provided you vehicle is capable of pulling such a load in the first place, unlikely on a vehicle rated under 3500kg MGVW.

Alex

Reply to
Alex