Towing with my Ranger Rover

Hello,

I have a 2004 Range Rover and am looking at getting an RV trailer. The trailer fully loaded is a max of 7200lbs (3250kg), which is just under what the limit is for this car.

My question is, even though it is within the limt, how well with the RR tow a trailer this size?

Thanks, Gerald San Antonio, TX, USA

Reply to
gerald

If the trailer is well designed and the balance of the load is near correct then RR has no trouble towing such a load day in and day out. Personally I knock it into sport mode on all but slight down grades so that it does not hunt between fourth and fifth gear but it you have the official tow hitch then when you connect the lights the car should switch automatically to a towing mode. Try it and see. You certainly have nothing to worry about. Make sure the trailer brakes are good and efficient though, whether it be the over-run type used in Europe for such loads or air or electric brakes. If your trailer has a large side area in relation to its weight then a simple friction stabiliser is recommended. Perhaps you will use an American weight transfer type of hitch? In which case I have no idea of how that behaves in work.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It sounds very heavy to me.

I have towed similar amounts with a diesel series landrover and with my disco, however I was going very carefully and leaving miles for braking. The LR manual, at least for the disco, states that you will need some sort of coupled brakes (ie not overrun brakes) for loads of that magnitude.

I would say that if you are getting a load of sand or similar, and it is an occassional thing, then do it, but in your case you are planning on dragging this trailer around on a frequent basis and I suggest you would be better served by one of the massive diesel pickups that are so popular in your neck of the woods.

Regards Stephen

PS: best would be to try and tow the th

Reply to
fanie

Farmers and businesses around my way tow such loads on a daily basis. Yes even with a new Range Rover. There is no problem with over-run brakes up to

3.5 tons in hilly areas, even hauling a full load of livestock which, of course, move around a lot inside the trailer. These need more care and steady driving, as does any load need extra care to varying degrees.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , fanie writes

Every time my 110 goes out with the trailer on it is carrying that kind of weight. In the UK there is no need for coupled brakes up to 3,500 kg.

Overrun brakes work very well with that kind of load if looked after properly.

The big trailer manufacturers build their trailers with the knowledge that most farmers / builders will overload them.

IF the trailer is loaded correctly and well serviced the OP should be just fine.

Reply to
Marc Draper