1984 'Vette: A Few Problems

I have a 1984 Corvette and would like to know a few things.

First of all, I have a few minor cosmetic concerns, such as a loose headliner, foggy windshield and a few control knobs are either loose or have fallen off and will not stay on (headlights, air conditioning). I have blackouts and one of the front ones (turn signal) is coming off. I tried using crazy glue but it wouldn't hold.

As far as mechanical concerns go, I have a pretty bad oil leak that has been getting worse. I don't want to pay for this repair, as I am on a very tight budget but I realize it must be taken care of immediately. The car began to overheat on the freeway yesterday so I'mafraid the water pump may be giving out.

I believe that's about it. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Nosada

Get a second job, it will only get worse.

Oil leaks are easy in some ways. If it is old, there will be a dirty trail back to the area it is in, such as valve covers, intake manifold end gaskets, etc. If it is really old, you may have the whole engine in oil and dirt and need to clean it and look for the leak then.

Common leaks are valve cover gaskets, intake manifold end gaskets, oil sending units, front main seal (in timing cover) and rear main seal (inside engine).

Blackouts are wonderful. They cut the visible light by 30% or more, meaning most people will see your lights even less than normally, and increase the chances of them plowing into you somewhere. They are also illegal in some states, although almost never enforced, but could create insurance hassles if you try to make a claim in an accident.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I bought the car with blackouts. I don't know how to remove them but I could care less about them being a hazard. And they're legal in California.

Reply to
Nosada

Well, your choices are: (a) find the leak and fix it yourself or, once you know the source of the leak, shop all around for the best quote, (b) buy a couple cases of oil and keep adding as necessary, or (c) burn up the engine.

Is the coolant level right? Is there crap blocking the airflow? Water pumps aren't real cheap either, but again cheaper than a fried motor.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan

Water pumps rarely are at fault when a car overheats. Water pump failures usually are due to bad bearings, so they may leak water from a weep hole provided for that purpose when that happens, but usually you'll notice the failure from the squeaky noises the failing bearings make. Look for the simple things first, like whether you are having to add water, and if so, look for the water leak... it can be as simple as a loose hose clamp or as serious as a leaking radiator core or a head gasket leak. If it isn't losing water, then you have to look at other stuff, like fans that aren't working, a bad thermostat, a failed radiator cap, or a clogged radiator core. You may need a radiator shop to help you find the tough stuff.

Reply to
WayneC

Early C4s were a nightmare as all GM cars of this period were. I remember the AC on early C4s was so anemic you had to put your face to the vents to feel the air. I would never buy a C4 made before 1986. Or if you can afford it 1993 +. I would get rid of this car because it will be one thing after the other. These cars were falling apart when they were new. I am shocked there are any left. Look and you will see before 1986 C4s are rare because they did not last.

Reply to
Atlantic965

I differ...I had a very early 84, s/n 140, and it had great a/c (I'm in Texas) and once I had the injectors "balanced" it ran great.

With Nosada, though...the oil leak bothers me. Not sure about the foggy windshield, but teh blackouts make me think it may be loaded with Pep Boyz crap. The overheat part may be his first experience with a C4 and this panic will subside as tme goes by. I'm almost over it ater ten years.

I'd stay away from a LT-1, simply because of teh distributor problem. My 92 needed it last year. Major pain to change, but also did water pump same time.

But it sounds like his operating budget is tight, and replacing the car is not an option. But he doesn't indicate how much oil is leaking. How many miles per quart, etc.

Reply to
George Csahanin