1984 corolla idle problems

I have a 1984 RWD hatchback corolla. It's a 4ac motor carbureted. Just finished putting a new headgasket it b/c the previous owner put it in backwards. The car starts and at first idles at 2000 rpm or so and then when it warms up fluctuates up and down from 1200 to 1700 rpm sometimes even dies. :roll: when it gets to a low rpm the motor shakes like crazy and then might shoot back up to

2000 or dies. at first i thought it might be my vacuum hoses so i check them and look in a chilton book and match up all the hoses. nothing. :( then i grab a carb from my friends car(same car his was running fine) and put it in making sure the vacuum lines were good. nothing. :x i hear your not supposed to turn the carb upsidedown? could this be the problem? or i was thinking maybe my timing is off? any kind of advice would be good
Reply to
hachidriftin916

Verify that the throttle positioner is adjusted right, but the base idle on the carb has to be set first. The throttle position switch adjustment, next to the screw for the throttle positioner idle speed, can affect idle slightly by making the oxygen sensor control cut in and out (switch shouldn't activate until 1600-1800 RPM). Also it's possible to mix up the 2 fuel cut solonoids on the carburetor.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me