Aluminum Wheel restoration question.

Hi, Have been restoring a '77 vette. My aluminum wheels were white with oxidization.I took off each wheel and spent two hrs each using rubbing
compound and Mothers aluminum polish. I took 30 years of oxidization off those rims and brought them totally back to life. They shine like silver dollars. My hands are sore and veryt black....After spending the whole day shining them up, is there something I can put on them to preserve the aluminum? Thanks....Jimi.
Mothers Powerball & Powerball Mini is great, I use it on my Billet Specialties wheels. Would of saved you hours of hand rubbing. I'm pretty sure the originals were Clear Epoxyed. I've found that the rattle can clears won't last in a wheel environment especially with brake dust. I would take them and have them professionally cleared. Or break out the Powerball and Mothers Powerball Compound once a year. The Mothers compound will protect them for a while, but not permanently.
Jimi wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
Ric Seyler wrote:

then coating with a two-part Urethane clear coat. From aircraft experience, I think urethane will stand flexing better than an epoxy. Not a clue as to UV susceptability of either epoxy or urethane though.
Shop manual suggestions are R&M metal conditioner # 801, R&M Urethane enamel #893 and R&M catalyst #894. (I think these guys were bought out.) Dad might know by who and he probably knows of a better source. If you're going to spray indoors, remember that Urethane paint gives off Cyanates (cyanide) and can cause you to either get dead or have your kidney's fall out. Wear an airline hose mask or work outdoors, stay upwind and wear a barrier mask and eye protection. Scrub well afterward.
--
PJ

Thanks group for your help on this topic...... Jimi
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090405000808090300080206 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
PJ wrote:

cleared OR just polish them a couple times a year.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
Jimi wrote:
Hi, Have been restoring a '77 vette. My aluminum wheels were white with oxidization.I took off each wheel and spent two hrs each using rubbing compound and Mothers aluminum polish. I took 30 years of oxidization off those rims and brought them totally back to life. They shine like silver dollars. My hands are sore and veryt black....After spending the whole day shining them up, is there something I can put on them to preserve the aluminum? Thanks....Jimi.

The company survives today as BASF's Inmont Division's R-M high quality line of automotive paints.
Iffin I was Ric I would most assuredly have some one else refinish them.
Dupont has a good clear coat for them and yes, you need an outside air source to have your lung muscles work after you're done.
Interesting note, to me that is, the R&M paint company (William James Mason) started out as a duck decoy company in 1896 in Michigan. One (1) decoy sold in 2000 for $345,500, getting as bad as Corvettes.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51