Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Dear Newsgroup, I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle? Anybody know?

Thanks in advance! ed

Reply to
slakka

Quote, "Designed in the late 1950s, the all-aluminum 215 cubic inch (3.5-litre) engine was originally used in various Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick lines (Tempest, F85, Special) starting in 1961."

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Subsequently, GM returned to iron-block motors and sold the 215 V8 to England's Rover. There it found a home in the 1968 Rover 3500 (P6), a derivative of the innovative Rover 2000, both of which were exported to Canada.

Additionally, the engine was used in the Morgan Plus 8, the Triumph TR8, the Rover SD-1, the MGB-GT V8, TVR, Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover, where it soldiered on in 3.9, 4.0, 4.2 and 4.6-litre versions.

The engine formed the basis for Jack Brabham's Formula 1 world championship Brabham Repco V8 in 1966.

Reply to
Richard

Also used by MarCos vehicles (they also used the 2.0 4 cylinder in normaly aspirated or turbocharged versions)

Rumour has it though that the Americans had "borrowed" the blueprints and knowhow of this aluminum made engine from the Germans when they "visited" BMW's factory.

Take care Pantelis

championship

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production vehicle?

ed

Reply to
slakka

I think it was still used in the 2004 Discos in the US.

Reply to
Charlie Choc

On or around 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" enlightened us thusly:

Not sure, but they only stopped making 'em quite recently. The whole V8 assmebly line was up for sale, anyone know what happened about that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Weren't TVR the last producers?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

yep it was. 4.6l

Reply to
Richard

Nope, Peter Wheeler dropped them as soon as BMW bought Rover. Their engines are now home grown.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I guess the last LR produced engine must have been the one fitted on the last Discovery Series 2 fitted with the 4.0 variant. Judging from the fact that Discovery LR3 vehicles started being delivered to clients in November??? I would say that sometime around summer must be your answer for LR made engines.

According to information the last V8 engine block left the production line on May 14th, 2004 and has been signed by EVERYBODY on the production line. This engine block is owned by one of the well know companies tuning the V8. The production line was up for auction and according to information has been bought and production will start again sometime in the near future.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Sombody in alt.autos.rover made the below posting

I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle?

Land Rover Discovery last year for one off the line. They discontinued production last year 2004

P.

Reply to
slakka

That would have been me. I lurk here too.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Hey Gang,

I gotta staffer at Road and Track working on a piece (see below) in regards to my original posting. Lets all take a bow!

ed

Hello, Ed, Yep. The Rover-nee-Buick has gone away. And with it, alas, the Morgan +8 as we now know it. Thanks for putting this in historical perspective. I believe it would make a nice little Tech Tidbit, on how this nice friendly lightweight Buick engine ends up in the strangest places. Sort of like a kid from Flint hobnobbing with the rich, famous and infamous. (This will probably be my title.)

Reply to
slakka