Body Filler Question

In the Helm manual for my 84, it recommends using the epoxy panel adhesive as filler for nonstructural repairs. Would this still be the best way to make a repair or are todays fillers
better? It has been 22 yrs.since the manual was written so I would think the technology has improved a bit since then.
Thanks, Marty