broken spring bolts

I have found the rear spring bolts on the differential mount broken off. I managed to get the rear two out without a problem. This is a 1980 model and their are three bolts. The third is the one that would
not come out ...so I began to drill it out figuring I could retap the hole to a larger size and solve the problem. I went to deep and drilled into the differential draining the oil. Is it possible to tap the hole and place a plug in it followed by a spring mount bolt? I'm hoping I will not have to remove the whole rear end. Solutions or ideas please.
Don't you hate when that happens. Solve one problem and create another - story of my life. Anyways, I think that tapping and plugging like you suggest is a viable option. You've got nothing to lose at this point.
I think you better open up the diff and clean out the drill shavings before filling it back up again.