C4 Injector Removal

Hi All,
I've been tracking this problem down for YEARS and I think I'm finally on to something. PROBLEM: 1988 - starts fine cold and within 5 - 8 mins after
shutdown. After that, cars cranks long, starts and idles rough and smells very rich. After she 'clears her throat' she runs fine and strong. No other issues! Changed splugs, wires, rotor, button cleaned MAF wires. Upgraded relays that link to MAF as per production bulletin. Disconnect Cold Start Valve. No resolution and seemed to get worse!
I'm now down to the possibility that my injectors are leaking. I would like to at least pull a couple out to check the o-rings. O-ring kit from dealer is $28. I don't have a service manual (YET!). The task looks daunting. Any advise on the best way to get at these? Any other parts I might need like gaskets, etc.. when doing this job?
TIA!
Save the Wave!
BTW, 117,000 kms original kilometers (72, 500 miles) and garaged.
Thanx!

88C4RagTop wrote:

I had a very similar problem in my 1985. It turned out to be a carbon build up in the combustion chamber. The carbon absorbed gas. When the car cooled a little after being driven, it would release the gas, and flood the engine. The dealership had to work with Chevy to diagnose it. They used some solvent to clean out the engine, and it ran great after that.
Hope this helps...

Interesting, which make one wonder how many more deposits are left in our engines with today's fuels. My C6 has the sootiest looking exhaust pipes I ever seen; looks like they did when the choke stuck in the older cars but gets twice the MPG.
Dad wrote:

combustion roughness when we go through our annual winter-to-summer gasoline changeover -- and it's been worse out West since we had to give up MTBE. Maybe we're getting some Chinese wheat gluten in the gas.
*Hey Dad.* We used to clean out cylinder deposits by 'drizzling' diesel down the carburetor -- do you have a way to 'administer' diesel juice into a 'vette -- or would the internal tamps make this a dumb maneuver?
-- PJ

I'm pretty POd about this gluten business. I haven't lost a pet, but it's driving me nuts trying to keep up with the continual expansions of the recalls.

I'm assuming changing brands of gas for a while to change the detergents in it isn't sufficient.. That these deposits are just to tough/extensive?
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

to burn out the deposits and kill all mosquitoes in a 5 mile radius. There are cleaners in a pressurized cans that screw onto the fitting on the fuel rail to do it now. Of course there is a GM approved version that is 4X the price that they recommend.

Hmmm.. just spoke to GM and they don't have anything that comes in a can via the schrader valve, just stuff to dump in our tank. Someone else suggested that the O2 sensors can go open loop mode and cause rich buring without flaging a code (ODB1). Could the O2 sensors be causing this as well?

have you even tried to run a good injector cleaner through your tank first ? (suggest the gm cleaner or Lucas Injector cleaner) I would at lease try that before you start replacing the O2 sensors.
--
"Key"
=====

C4RagTop wrote:

Try this out for size (scroll down the page to the paragraph on using an R-12 hose -- you're on your own)
< http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/showthread.php?ts85
Here's a product. 3M UNIVERSAL FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER, 10 OZ. AEROSOL (08956)
Note that the can has 100 psi of pressure.
-- PJ
Snip

WOW, that's wedding night pressure; just what MacGyver needed back in the late '80's. GM says to boost the pressure up to 70/ 90 PSI to clean/flush the injection system.
Dad
--
Everyone should have a spouse, because there are a number of
things that go wrong that one can't blame on the government.

g'day
--
"Key"
=====

Snip

Dad
My greatest fear is there is no such thing as PMS and it is really her personality!
Wow, remember the days when you could just pour water slowly down the carb and clean all the carbon out?
Too bad you can't do that today.

I have an 85 with the same exact problem except it also has a rough idle. Do you know what type of solvent they used? Did they just run it thru or clean things by hand? Thanks, Brad

I had exactly the same problem for years with my 1986 convertible. The problem turned out to be the fuel pump. Apparently there was a small crack or something that caused the problem. Once it was replaced entire issue went away.
Mike.

Mike Cenni wrote:

On the output of the fuel pump there's what appears to be a snubber -- Chevy calls this a 'pulsator.' Last fuel pump replacement I did, I just replaced the pump and left the old snubber in place. (IIRC the price of a new one seemed high.)
Wonder what the life of a snubber is and what the symptoms are when it quits 'snubbing?'
--
PJ

run some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Fuel Injector Cleaner http://www.lucasoil.com/testimonials/index.sd?catid  through a couple tanks of gas, be sure and change your gas filter afterwards.
g'luck
--
"Key"
=====

Jeez.. just when I though I had it licked! :) You have given me something else to think about. I'll try the carbon cleaner if it causes similar simptoms that I am experiencing. Thanks everyone for your feedba