Corvette 1974 Rear Brakes

One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping sound when I start driving after holding the brake for some time. My dealer tells me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of the car,
but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear and tear. any suggestions?
✖

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryIDB
try these people
kickstart
Add pictures here
✖

==============================================Sounds to me that the roter is slightly warped.... I honestly have very little faith in most dealers when it comes to these problems...
My right rear rotor was out by 27 thousands when I noticed a similar problem a few years ago....replaced it with a new roter (out by 7 thousands when installed BTW) and the problem went away....
Thats my guess...
Bob G. 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...
Add pictures here
✖
"" wrote: > On 22 Jul 2005 19:35:45 -0400, goof
> wrote: > > >One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping > sound when I > >start driving after holding the brake for some time. My > dealer tells > >me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of > the car, > >but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear > and > >tear. any suggestions? > > ============================================== > Sounds to me that the roter is slightly warped.... I honestly > have > very little faith in most dealers when it comes to these > problems... > > My right rear rotor was out by 27 thousands when I noticed a > similar > problem a few years ago....replaced it with a new roter (out > by 7 > thousands when installed BTW) and the problem went away.... > > Thats my guess... > > Bob G. > 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...
Thank you, Bob!
That looks like a good guess!
W’ll see what we can do to solve this problem.
Goof
✖
Also check for worn/loose bushings on the trailing arms and differential case.

Add pictures here
✖
There is so much stuff that can move back there, this description is like saying "My head hurts." Well, does it hurt from a headache, you slept wrong, you have a nasty pimple, or your wife smacked you upside the head with a club for being out too late drinking?
Those "thumps" could be clicks, clunks, pops, and a host of other noises. You could have pads clicking because they stick to the rotor because they are worn and the rotors glazed, you could have u-joints popping because they have play, you could have noises in the rear end because the stub axles are worn, you could hear Posi clutches popping and snapping, and more.
Heck, my '79 has popping sounds all the time. Just recently, I had some that turned out to be a real nasty, or could have been very nasty, problem. I put a set of old aluminum slots on for that retro look and I picked up the unilug inserts from Pep Boys. The original inserts when in the back and were thick from Ansen. The only ones available now are cheap washers and these bent, loosening the wheel while I was driving (after a month of having them on), and I snapped a stud the other day. I had kept checking tightness but the nuts had finally bottomed against the rotor, and only the lock was truly tightening.
So you have thumping. Yu need to narrow it down a bit.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Corvette-1974-Rear-Brakes-ftopict130144.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pc4057
Add pictures here
✖