Mini Petrol Powered Corvette 'Go-Kart' For Sale (7ft Long) On UK Ebay

Page 5 of 7

Yup, most main dealers over here have such a system.

What crap. That makes the very broad assumption that manufacturers only ever make and apply subtle changes to the design of their cars (be it internal or external, cosmetic or mechanical) on New Year's Eve. I don't think they do. Therefore there could be several small changes in the one year. It's a crap way of doing things. The only real way is to have a database that's linked to VIN no (and often reg no, though with private plates that can have its problems), in order to find the correct part. Other than that, it's just major model changes (referred to by Mk1/2/3 etc, or by manufacturers' own systems i.e. W126 etc for Merc and E32/34/36 etc etc for BMW).

Have you not got it into your head that we don't call it "model year" because it's too vague. We refer to different models by specific model designators (as I said above) - e.g. BMW 5 series goes E28/E34/E39/E60(?), with possibly one or two before that (google for john burns bmw for a good site with all that stuff on). That, and major facelifts within a model are generally referred to as that.

Because we don't refer to it by year. Get over it.

Most people would call it a facelift Mk3. It's how we do things. We use actual words such as adjectives and known descriptors to describe things.
--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:36:14 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
When I look on the AutoTrader web site, the majority of the cars advertised have something that looks suspiciously like a year in the title line.
What's that all about, then?

Do you have to work on being this stupid?
The year referred to in Autotrader is the *year of registration*.
It's not the year it was manufactured, or some marketing gimmick 'model year'.
Do you understand now? - or are you going to continue playing the stupidity card?
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:07:17 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

So when PikeyVanMan said:

He was wrong? You guys are all painting yourselves into corners over this model/registration year thing. Some of you are saying that you *never* refer to the year (see PVM above) and others are saying that a 1995 car first registered in 2006 is a 2006 car. If that amounts to me paying the stupidity card, then more fool you for picking it up...

Eh?
You still don't understand, do you?
We don't give a toss about 'model years' - which appear to be a marketing ploy to get stupid people to part with money. From what I can see, generally the difference between this years' and next years' model is that they've changed the font on a switch or something equally trivial to be able to advertise it as a new 'model year'.
We just refer to stuff by the year it was registered. It really is that simple. None of this 'registered in September 2006, but it's a 2007 model' bollocks.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:36:27 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

I don't understand the *different* things you are all saying. I wish you'd make your minds up.

So PikeyVanMan was wrong?

Read his post again.
Or was it too complicated for you?
Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<sigh> Go to www.parkers.co.uk and see if you can figure out why they give different prices for (for example) a 2005 55-reg and a 2006 55-reg Ford Mondeo, given that 55-reg cars were first registered between 1/9/05 and 28/2/06
ZRiX
(`'..(<>..<>)..')
Here's a hint. Post at the bottom, snip the sigs and try not to post under the sig-separator, which means your rantings will be invisible to most people.

Thanks for confirming that 'model years' have nothing to do with the year of manufacture or year of registration.
It's taken a while, but you got there in the end.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:54:43 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

OK, I did. He says you only *ever* refer to a car by its model/type/designation. You're contradicting him.

It's too complicated either for you or for PikeyVanMan, that's for sure.
Maybe you and he need to get together and come up with a unified theory of some sort? Get back to us when you've decided what it is.

Wo don't use a 'model year', we use a 'year of registration' - which is what he said. In fact it's what everyone has said.
You really are as stupid a race as you come over on telly, aren't you?
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:32:59 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Why won't you answer the question about PikeyVanMan?

Actually, I'm British. You didn't pick up on that? No wonder you're confused.

It's been covered off several times now.

Sorry, but you appear to be posting with all the intelligence of a Merkin, so it's no wonder you've been mistaken for one.
<checks headers>
Ahh, Merkin IP. You appear to have 'gone native'.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:45:53 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

He says you never use the year for anything, just the model/mark designation. He's correct? One of you is wrong, why won't you tell us? It would probably clear up a lot of the confusion.

Oooh! Low punch!

We use a 'year of registration' - any other detail is covered by model / mark designations.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:03:18 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

So he's wrong then? I think we're getting somewhere now.
All that remains now is to clear up the confusion of what year you'd ascribe to a car that was several years old before it was first registered on a current plate.
Let's use 1995 and 2005 as examples. If you were to use a year to refer to that car, what would it be.
No obfuscation now, just a straight answer please.

Something like MkV Escort, registered 2005.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:24:18 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

I see. So its age could be anywhere in a range of, what, six years or so? You have to be honest, that's not really a very helpful description of the car, is it? Might it not be much more helpful and honest to call it a 1995 Escort, registered 2005?
Think of it this way: How old is the car? One year old? Something plus or minus three years old? Or eleven years old? What age information would you be happy to accept about this car in the unlikely event that you were thinking of buying it?
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:20:46 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Because that's the way it works. A 1995 (model) may be identical to a 2000 (model) in all respects except for the date coded in to the VIN. But one is a 1995 and the other is a 2000. The difference in the prices of the two might help you to understand it better. There *is* a difference in price, before you ask.

Well, what you're getting at is what was originally called "planned obsolescence" when the car makers first started doing it back in the 1930s, I believe, as a way to make people want to replace the perfectly serviceable car they already owned. In general, the Brits have always been just as much victims of it as the merkins have been. It just manifests itself in a slightly different form there, though it seems to have *you* fooled.