no start

Ok ya all I have a real problem... during the last few months I have had a no start condition. I am not talking about the engine cranks but no start,
but rather I turn the key and nothing. I have all lights all power but no engine turnover. I don't even have a clicking from the starter. It might take from several minutes to 2 hours for the starter to engage. then everything might be ok for several weeks. than the same thing happens. It is so intermittent that it is almost impossible to trace down. I would like to say starter but I am leaning towards the security system. any input would be helpful. Thanks
Kevin Livengood wrote:

Manual or automatic? Could also be the shifter lockout system (ie, not sensing neutral. park, etc).
sorry about the incomplete post I have a 96 with a manuel trans Kevin

Sounds like a VATS problem. Clean the pellet on your key or try another key.
Thanks I will give that a try Kevin

Kevin Livengood wrote:

OK, what year car? Is it auto or manual?
If the car has the builtin factory security system, does the security light come on when you turn the key to start the car? I had an issue where the "tab" (which is a precision resister where the value is measured by the car to allow it to start) in the key was getting marginal and the security system was thinking it was a security violation. That will lock out the ignition for 5 mins from the last time you tried the start the car. So if you keep trying before the timer expires it will reset and keep you locked out. Go away for more than 5 min and then try again.
It could also be the switch on the shifter that requires you be in neutral and/or Park if it's an automatic or the switch on the clutch to be sure you have the clutch all the way in if it's manual.
Dennis