Optispark warning

I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe wash...BIG MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it wiped out the
optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still waiting for it to dry out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I could start it..
Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.
I've had that happen to me before on other GM vehicles.... no idea what they were thinking back then.
------------------------------------ Mike Mangione http://www.carforums.net

maybe it was a good thing? if ya ran through too much water, your vehicle would stopped running.
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people
grayfox wrote:

My newest Corvette is coming up on 34 years old; our Honda and Toyota must not have Optispark technology since I've sprayed the engines and undercarriage thoroughly with no problem. Sooooo, I have no idea what an Optispark looks like. Why can't a cover or shield be made to protect it from direct spray?
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
puked:

Heh, I took my Camaro SS through one of those 'touch free' washes and it squirted water through the intake and soaked my air filter. Fortunately no water went into the engine.
Guess I should have thought about that... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

no worries, not enough water to worry about. the water would have gone right through and out your exhaust pipe when ya started the car :-)
g'day
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people

But a soggy air filter doesn't flow well... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

hear ya, but it wont be soggy for long :-)
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people
If it a paper element, I'd replace it if it got wet. The fibers will be matted together and won't flow or filter properly and will now clog quickly. Fewer areas between the fibers for air to flow through and much less total surface area to catch particles.
'Key wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
grayfox wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
grayfox wrote:

Yeah, they should have spray tested it and changed the venting. The location was probably more driven by the changes in engine cooling flow considerations than by stupidity. They also may have considered Opti as interim to getting a high voltage 'four-pack' ignition for the 'vette.
In some defense of the engine guys, they needed more precise ignition timing than the HEI mag-pickup was delivering. Opti gave them that! Think back to where we were in the late '80s with Govt regulations, fuel formulation problems and limited bandwidth (sloppy) computers. Optispark made a lot of sense-- It was however one of the factors in my considering an L98 instead of an LT1 car. (I took a lot of dust & heat from the LT1 gang while I waited for my LS-1).
Note that, at the time, GM was using all electronic (no moving parts) ignition on many of their high production, small-block V6s. Getting the money to put it into production on the 'vette would have been tough. Even though most 'vette owners would like it differently, this car has to compete for capital investment right along with the Escalade and Impala.
--
PJ
89 HookerCar, 02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

ya won't run it through that car wash again !
g'day
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people
You would think you would have learned the first time not to get it wet, Corvettes cant swim!