Where do I start...

Hello fellow Corvette owners,
For quite some time I have been lurking in this group reading through the thousands of posts and flame wars. I write to you now in need of advice.
I have aquired a more-or-less basket case 1956. It looks to be nearly 90% complete with an original engine block (no side mount bosses in the casting), and dual Carter WCFB carbs on the original manifold. It looks like it used to have a convertible top but came with a hard top. Someone installed a 4speed trans and what appear to be traction bars on the rear axle. I have moved all of the pieces into my garage but don't know where to start. Do I have to re-hang the doors before lifting the body off the frame? I have heard that the body may crack if I try lifting it with the doors removed. Any advice or comments will be welcomed. Thanks in advance, Homer hbrinlee-at-hotmail-dot-com
I would do a little research for publications on C1 Body Off Restos. That's a very wise concern, to me. Whether to hang doors first or not, etc. I could sit and come up with all kinds of stuff to worry and obsess about in doing a body off.. LOLOL
I would bet there are publications out there will all the info you need.
Homer wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

<Snip> Thanks for the URL. I went to the Art Morrison site and am now thinking maybe I should build a killer handling retro 'Vette. (as well as restoring the one that I have aquired) Two 'Vettes gotta be better than one... Homer
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040504030305020700000502 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Homer wrote:

Morrison is a class act! I remember when he came out with the first V8 Vega Conversion kit waaaay back! LOL Never got the damn this to cool properly though. That was long before all the high tech radiators, etc. But looking back a shroud would of probably gone a loooong way to solving that problem. LOL I did have a Vette radiator and filler tank in it though. :-)
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Ric, Thank you for your kind reply. A good friend took me to a wonderful bookstore called Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank, CA It was full of exquisite technical books on Automobiles, Aircraft, Motorcycles, etc. We saw Jay Lenno leaving in his Mustang GT 350 and got his parking spot. I bought the The Complete Corvette Restoration & Tech. Guide Vol. 1 1953 - 1962 by Noland Adams. BTW what is the best beer to drink while working on 'vettes? Homer
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090603040407040409050300 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Homer wrote:

Dos Equis BABY!! LOL

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

<Snip>
Tom, Thanks for the post. I found the muttvette site quite interesting. I dont think that I could ever take a torch to the frame but some of the photos were quite instructive. Homer
http://tinyurl.com/quj5v
Homer wrote:

Wayne, Thank you for the post. That NCRS site is killer. I think I will order some stuff there. Homer