Where to start?

Hello all,

15 yr old son has a summer job and is starting to save for a project car. He hankers after a Stingray. He should have saved about $3500 by the end of the summer and I have offered to match it if he does, so looking at $7000. I have no experience with Corvettes. What year should we be looking for , what to avoid, is Corvette a good investment etc. etc.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

SR

Reply to
SR

You could start in the alt.autos.corvette newsgroup. You should be able to pick up a 75 to 78 for $7,000. Don't think I would give one to a 15 year old. You should ask your insurance agent about what it's going to cost to insure. Then buy a nice Cavalier.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I agree with Al, I'd think twice before having your 15 year old start at the top. He'll have plenty of time for the Vettes once he is an experienced driver.You can have just as much or more fun with a variety of inexpensive cars, which can be hot rodded as much as his budget permits-- there are plenty of Monte Carlos, Cavaliers, 3rd and

4th gen Camaros and yes, even Hondas and other imports, that will only cost a few thousand, and then you can go to work, put a high performance engine in it, find some good mag wheels and tires, it is a great hobby.

My daughter always wanted to drive my '68 Camaro, but once she got her license she realized it wasn't practical, so she is driving a '98 Malibu, we got it for under 3K. By the way, our insurance more than doubled when my daughter started driving, and she's a female and only an occasional driver of my Camaro...

Reply to
Terry

Dont let your teenage boy own a high performance car of ANY kind. Take this warning to heart, or, youll be a regretful Dad...almost guaranteed. Im a 1970 Corvette owner , and when he is responsible enough, you can buy a 1984-1987 corvette in reasonably good condition for under $10 k, at present. Corvettes are good investments ... especially after they turn 25 years old -- then they appreciate in value.

Dont let him get a high performance car. Im sternly warning you Dad.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I too got in trouble with too much motor not enough age.

I would suggest buying a old stingray and restoring it slowly. Help appreicate it much more.

Buy a Honda for gas milage and insurance. Then in a few years when the ray is done he'll learn many valuable lessons.

But again we don't know your son but is very dangerous buying this type of car.

I was 16 with a 82 camaro 383 stroker. Too much but I thought I was "cool"

Reply to
Brian

Thank you all for your advice ( will avoid that Dave:) . I should have mentioned that it is to be a project car for investment rather than for driving. He's not allowed to have his own cor for driving until he's had a lot more experience. Sounds like for investment and restoration experience (under guidance) it may be a good idea.

Reply to
SR