92 Dodge minivan strange problem

My 92 Dodge Caravan, lately has been acting funny. Early in the mornings, after starting it, put in gear, the car won't move. I sit and wait for several seconds, almost a minute sometimes, then the gear
kicks in...and even then it's stuck on 1st gear, won't change gears even at high speed. The gears act normal afterif I stop, turn off the ignition and start up again. Is my transmission failing or the drive belts having a problem? TIA
fire it up and go straight to neutral in the morning for about a minute. then try it. report back.....

That did not work, Rob....the same thing happens.

its acting up in the morning and then going into a limp-in mode, take it to a dealer/trans shop to have the systems scanned for fault codes