Chrysler - did Cerberus blow it?

Page 2 of 3
Typically diesel prices go down in the summer because they are tied to home heating oil.

Yes.
BTW diesel is only very cheap to refine when it's a marginal product, as it was in the old days.
Now that diesel demand is greater (in Europe, at least) than the proportion in which it is produced in the cracking process it has become expensive.
DAS
"Matt Macchiarolo" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
news:x6edndb4oeGru8PbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Exactly. Refineries can no longer get rid of unwanted sulfur by leaving it in diesel....

Diesel here in Georgia was more expensive than premium unleaded a year ago, about the same a month ago, and 20 cents a gal cheaper now. The interesting thing is, diesel has stayed the same, around $2.80 a gallon, while gas has gone up.

To compare a Chysler hemi to the quality of a Mercedes motor and drive train is very wishful thinking. The Hemi is well below it in refinement. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Well, you can sure say Mercedes owners don't buy for styling. Mercedes hasn't used any. If styling was important, Mercedes would have gone out of business 40 years ago.
On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:45:50 -0400, Joe wrote:

I'd have to disagree with that. Most Mercedes (other than the "SUV's") look great. You don't think an SL500 looks sharp? Even the little 230 Kompressor looks pretty hot.

Yes in the past Mercedes cars were a bit ugly, but you obviously haven't looked at the recent Mercedes E series of cars. IMO they are lovely looking. Mercedes passed on the ugly looks to the Chrysler 300.

Geez, what an objective statement. You might inform yourself that many people consider a number of MB models gorgeous -- especially the S, CL, SL, and CLS. OTOH, the Compass, Caliber, Charger... need I go on?
On the whole Mercs have been and are classy and timeless.
That's why a 20-yr-old Merc can still pass muster today.
DAS
"Lloyd" < snipped-for-privacy@emory.edu> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Timeless is a nice way to put it. They certainly aren't out of style. 20 year old Mercs don't have any character lines on them anywhere, or any kind of styling features. They weren't really styled at all, just basically a block of soap.
I admit new ones are quite a bit more styled. I was just saying they didn't actually use styling for a long time, say 1960 to 2000. I'm not saying I didn't like the styling - I'm saying there wasn't any. If you don't put lines on something, it's just flat.
There is no such thing as "no styling". Something may be bland in the eyes of the beholder, but that is a different matter.
DAS
"Joe" < snipped-for-privacy@dontspam.net> wrote in message
news:yiL6i.97$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Look at a Scion XB or Honda Element, and then say that again with a straight face.
Oh yea, there IS such a thing as "no styling."
Steve wrote:

No styling and butt-ugly are two entirely different things. Styling is a matter of taste, the other is simply inexcusable.
--
Will Honea

On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:28:28 -0500, Steve wrote:

With all due respect, I must disagree...
How about plain old 'bad styling' or possibly worse, 'functional styling'?
The original Beetle was styled for the functionality of that car, and with Third Reich artistic standards.
The Citroen 2CV the same, minus the Third Reich artistic constraints.
Many more examples up to the time of those you've mentioned; again, styled for the function only.
And my favourite for sheer ugliness, The Aztek. Had to pass one at my corner -- a bright yellow brick -- for many months, and frequently had to answer the question, "What in hell is /that/ monstrosity?" It too was styled for it's function.
People these days drive more 'vehicles' than 'cars', and the vehicles generally have the artistic appeal of any military vehicle. And the cars have been homogenized to aesthetically offend nobody, with the side-effect of pleasing very few. Which is why a typical highway today looks like a mass of military maneuvers mixed with mostly undifferentiateable little buglets milling around like bees in a hive or ants in a hill.
Just my $0.02 Canadian....

No, there isn't. There's "deliberately styled to look as if it was just an industrial produce", but trust me -- just as much money went into the styling of a Scion XB as a Mazda RX-8.
writes:

Piero Drago had little money but designed a car which introduced many new design features. It's at the opposite end of the scale as the most desired car of all time, the 1967 Ferrari 330 P4. Probably a lot more money went into the "style" of cars which no one wants.
http://www.ferrariworld.com/FWorld/fw/index.jsp
writes:

Oops. I meant Piero Drogo. Very interesting story...
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-dropie.html

So? You can get a V8 in a Chevy Impala for less than a Cadillac, or in a Crown Vic for less than a Jag.

You knoweth not of which you speak.

You knoweth not of which you speak.
Lloyd Parker leases a Mercedes because he is "fiscally conservative".
Right Lloyd ?
Dave Milne, Scotland