64 convertible boot, did it shrink?

Bought a used 64 convertible toot for my 64. I isn't even close to snapping. Was told by seller (who is very nice and willing to work with me) that it needs to sit in the sun. I tried that, but this thing will have to sit in melting sun, I guess. Almost 3/4 inch from snapping. He said he had it on his 64. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Don Smith

Try snapping both rear corners first, then do the other snaps. This works with the boot on my '60, which is snug, but not 3/4 inch off.

Reply to
60ragtop

Reply to
Don Smith

Reply to
Don Smith

What is it made of? If it was a leather boot cover,, you could damen it, apply Lexol Conditioner, and then while wet stretch it to snap, then allow to dry and stay snapped for a few days.

If it is vinyl have no idea. If it is canvas you can also soak it and then stretch it.

BG Wish it were top down weather here

Reply to
Bill Glass

Our '60's folded top does not "sink" all the way into the cavity. It has a top quality replacement top that was installed by the leading trim shop in South Bend, according to the previous owner. It seems that the premium modern top material and padding is a bit thicker than the original.

Even with the newer top, the NOS boot covers the hole, but it is a tight fit. Impossible to put in place when the temperature is below 60 degrees.

I also once owned a full size '67 Dodge convertible. I had an upholstery shop make a boot out of matching top material for it, because it was impossible in any temperature for my girlfriend at the time to install the factory boot, given the power it took to stretch over five feet of vinyl across the width of that boat. I also discovered why boots are made to fit so tight from that experience. If they are loose, they flap and make noise. Especially in a crosswind.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

Reply to
Don Smith

Reply to
Don Smith

Rub some mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin (but without pumice) into it with a soft brush then buff with a towel. It will clean all the dirt out, soften it nicely and give it a little shine without looking "artificial" like Armor-All or similar.

nate

Reply to
N8N