Dancing town country ( Glenn Beasley help if you can)

Love my town and country. I know that people are complaining about them, but i really haven't have any problem until about a month ago. At 40 mph under acceleration the whole van bobble like i had a broken belt on a tire. Replace TWO sets of tires....and still the same thing. Wheels are lined up well, no pull left or right. When i left off the gas completly and let it roll at 40 it stops dancing, i am suspecting a bad rear engine mount, however it looks alright, but again looks can be deceiving, it makes no sense at all. The struts are new and solid, the rear is not lose, the rotors and calipers are new, so the rolling section of the van is fine, but under load....man does it wobble. At 60, 70, 80, 90 100, and then scary speed , it is tight, and straight, but at fourty...forget it, is this thing going through a mid life crises ? thanks for your help....jerome in texas

Reply to
j19686

Sounds to me like the inner CV joint(s) are gone, this will cause a severe vibration under a load and then diminish as the load goes away. You can see if they have any movement in the or cut the boot strap and see if it is all muddy (rusted) looking.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Good morning Glen.. Thanks for the info, it will be checked out quickly. When i replaced the calipers (birthday gift) three days ago, i looked for some broken something under the van but nothing really came up as broken or worned out, but i did notice a slight play at one axle right at the trans., it is however not making any noises and the boots are not bad, it all looked good, but again....look can be deceiving.Have you found it to be a common issue with these vans ?(96)I knew it had to be a moving part as it does not wobbles when not under load,but you think that it is the axles huh ? that would make sense...i guess i need to go a grab them , and shake them up a bit and see if they are lose, but what if they are ok ? what's next ? thanks again....you truly are an ace ( no need to blush) ;)

Reply to
j19686

Still blushing......That's a common problem on allot of front wheel drive vehicles. You just cant shake the axle. You have to grab the inner CV housing and see if there is up and down or side to side play between the axle and inside the housing . If in doubt remove the clamp and peel back the boot. if you see any brown gook or rust looking grease the joint/housing and tripod are bad. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Tripod ??? housing ? do you mean the transmission housing where the axles slide in...inside the trans ????? i can repalce the axles with no sweat, but are you saying that it is possible that i need to replace the trans ?? because i can live with the wobble....i would just quickly get thru the

40-45 mph mark and move on.As for removing the boot i can do that, but what the heck is the tripod ??? thanks again... jerome
Reply to
j19686

That would be part of the axle, the housing is the piece that slides into the trans, that would also be the part causing the wobble if it were to be worn out. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

well, i see that you do not sleep much either huh ? looking at the time that i wrote the previous email and the time you answered me, it looks like it was about an hour apart......man it sucks getting old....

Reply to
j19686

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!! Im not old, im just in my prime. Im only 45!!! Actually I get up at 4am and normally log on to check my stuff and if I have time I go into here and poke around... you wrote that at 2am? does your wife know you are on at this time?? LOL Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glen Someone told me today that the minivans have some ligns on the engine mounts, and that if the mounts where not lined up correctly the shaft would come out.....that almost looks mechanically impossible unless the spindle comes off. Anyway, just in case he might be correct, how would this affect the wobble on the van at 40 ?i mean the two side mounts slides into grooves, so i don't see any marks there, but again...?? any validity to that ? thanks.. jeorme

Reply to
j19686

If the wrong axle was installed (in your case it wasnt) then yes the axle could come out. if the ball joint came loose or the engine mount was to break and shift the engine so far over then yes the opposite side would come out. Your problem is not due to any of those problems.

If you suspect the inner CV joint to be the problem, and I cant tell you it is on the internet, you need to either have someone that knows what they are looking for take a peek at it or you can remove the clamp on the inner joints and inspect.If you elect to inspect the inner joints for muddy looking grease Start with the passenger side first

he isnt

i mean the two side mounts slides into grooves,

I have no idea what marks you are reffering to

Reply to
maxpower

Glen. i looked and looked and looked for some marks around the mounts and i could not find anyting. Haven't had the time to go look inside the axels boots as i had to do a timing chain on a 5.8 ford van, but tomorrow is my van's turn after church to be looked at...i can't think of anything other then the shafts that would create that vibration...but i'll keep you posted on the news and progress if any... jerome

Reply to
j19686

Your wasting your time looking for marks, After the problem is fixed im sure you will see find it to be a worn out axle.....assuming the tires are ok.

Reply to
maxpower

hello glen what about the wipers having a mind of their own ?......BCM ??

Reply to
j19686

A mind of its own? are we referring to the Phantom wipers that turn on by them selves? normally when vehicle is started? The multifunction switch is what normally causes problems with the wipers.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

WELL, STARTING BY THEMSELVES...NOT REALLY, BUT IF I TURN ON THE INTERMITTENT, THEY WILL WIPE WHEN EVER THEY FEEL LIKE IT, AND IF I WANT TO TURN THEM OFF, THEY WILL STOP (OR NOT),ANYWHERE ON THE WINDSHIELD, SO I HAVE TO TIME IT AND STOP THEM AT THE BASE OR THE BOTTOM, AND THAT IF THEY DO STOP.....AT ALL

Reply to
j19686

That could be the park switch in the wiper motor going bad, you would have to monitor the park switch with a scan tool in the BCM

Reply to
maxpower