PING-Glenn Beasley

Glenn I have a question I hope you can answer for me. My sister in law has a 2001 Dodge Stratus and the clockspring broke last week.I know my 01 Ram was recalled for the clockspring and I believe some of the vans were also. I told her to call her Dodge dealer and ask if there was a recall for her car. The dealer she called said there was not a recall for the clockspring for her 01 Stratus. Only a TSB. Is there anyway you could check for me and see if this info is correct? I told her since this is such a widespread problem with Dodge vehicles to be real nice to the service writer and maybe they would help her with the cost to fix it. She was quoted over $400 to fix the clockspring. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

FYI, you can check for recalls yourself at the NHTSA site:

I see 9 recalls for the 2001 Dodge Stratus but don't see one for the clock spring problem.......

Reply to
SRN

I saw that but I wanted to make sure from a dealer. I just find it strange that the problem exists in all models but only certain ones have a recall. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

There is no recall for replacing the clock spring.I don't even see a TSB that would pertain to a clockspring issue, $400 sounds like a lot to install this part. What was the fault code that the dealer got? There is a recall to replace the air bag on a very few amount of vehicles. The dealer should have ran your vin number to verify you have no incomplete recalls on your vehicle

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

HMM I posted a reply to this Monday but don't see it on here, I will resubmit:

There is no recall for replacing the clock spring.I don't even see a TSB that would pertain to a clockspring issue, $400 sounds like a lot to install this part. What was the fault code that the dealer got? There is a recall to replace the air bag on a very few amount of vehicles. The dealer should have ran your vin number to verify you have no incomplete recalls on your vehicle

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

My SIS was driving the car and she said the steering wheel got harder to turn. Then she heard a snap in the steering column. Now the horn and cruise won't work. And her airbag light is on. I'm sure it's the clockspring. When my 01 RAM was recalled I was told if it had broken the symptoms would be the same. She hasn't taken the car to the dealer yet so I don't know if it is throwing codes. I had her call and ask what it would call to fix the clockspring. I'm sure that's what is wrong.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Bob don't be surprised if they sell you a multifunction switch as well. It sounds as if the cancel mechanism has gone bad on the switch and could have possibly broken the clockspring tape as well. let me know what they find

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower