PING: Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Hello Glenn-

quickie here-

I have an 02 PT with 105K on it, standard transmission. I haven't looked under the car, but is the standard similar to the automatic-that is, a gazillion bolts that holds the pan, then once that is pulled-you can access/replace the filter?

I haven't had any problems with shifting, and the car is one of THE Best, if not the best straight drive, I have ever owned!

Thanks in advance- pe2

Reply to
pe2

Glenn can provide more specific info, but most manual transmissions that I worked on have a drain plug, and no filter to replace. Check your owners's manual for the correct gear lube.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

As kmatheson said, the manual trans does not have a pan nor does it have a filter. You can drain and fill and that's about it.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

What do modern manual boxes use for gear lube?

Back in the days when I had a manual trans, (A-833) the owner's manual called for 90w gear lube. In really cold climates, ATF could be used during the winter.

I remember having to be real careful with the oil that I chose. Some would cause hard shifting.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Thanx for all the help-I look into that.

Darn, I miss unbolting those gazillion bolts around the pan. I can recall years past, with an automatic-a messy job, but saved a trip to the shop and big bucks!

Reply to
pe2

All vehicles and manufactures use different types. The 2002 PT for instance: Depending on where the vehicle was manufactured will depend on what fluid to use and it is not to be mixed. Domestic PT uses manual transaxle Lubricant (type MS 9417) The Exports use ATF+4 (type MS 9602)

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

You can get any competent trans shop to weld in a drain plug to a trans pan. The usual practice is to drill a hole, then weld a nut and a washer on top of that inside of the pan. You use an allen set screw in the plug.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

Yes, all of them though end up with the plug projecting below the bottom of the trans pan, just waiting for something to come along and knock it off.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

Right - B&M makes a drain plug kit that is gasketed to the pan. I have had good service with their kit. Used it on several daily drivers.

Reply to
Joe

I guess I should have mentioned that in my other post. I'm not dumb enough to do that, so I always wind up with my drain plug sticking out the side.

The kit requires some smarts to use, and to find. My auto parts store tells me there's no such thing, so you gotta be persistent.

Reply to
Joe