Guy in Viper: Because I'm compensating for my "shortcomings"

How dead-on accurate was THAT Volkswagen ad?
Why else would anyone buy that wanna-be Ferrari rattletrap?

For performance/dollar, it beats *any* Ferrari! How many 500-hp Ferraris can you get for ~$85K?
But, on the other hand, trolls are never wrong.
Thanks, Scott
slas wrote: > > Why else would anyone buy that wanna-be Ferrari rattletrap? >
understood to have stated the following:

Aunt Judy dreams of driving one to it's favorite bath house; maybe then it would get some respect from the turd tampers there. As it is, they all laugh at him when he pulls up in his bald-tired rust bucket.
--
"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system
for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted

I don't know, maybe because it cost half as much and goes really fast? Maybe a better question would be why would anyone buy that VW wince BMW rattletrap? Lowest Ego Emissions might be interpreted as "I am embarrassed to be seen in this over priced piece of junk."
On a more serious note - I dislike those VW commercials. The message is unclear. Do VW owners not care about their vehicles? If the best thing you can say about your VW is that people with low self esteem or no ego's buy them, why should I be interested?
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

"low ego emissions" does not at all mean "low self-esteem". They're trying to appeal to people who think they're mature/secure enough not to need to show off with a car that compensates for their various emotional problems... i.e. people that buy a car because they like it or it makes sense, not because it makes them look good.
Not that there's anything wrong with owning a Ferrari, though if you're just using it for your daily commute, you could have saved about $150,000...
Jeff
fruitbat wrote:

.
Bingo. I bought a Jetta because it gets 50 miles per gallon. It looks decent, has plenty of room, and saves money.
,

All good reasons. Why don't they say that instead of lowest ego emissions? And the new Jetta commercials are horrid! I don't associate Jetta's with hiking, yoga, or dancing. I associate them with young girls and old guys (old guys seem to love the diesels). I also associate them with repair horror stories (my Sister owned a Jetta once, my other Sister owned a Passat once - both are now cured of the VW disease). Decent driving qualities, reasonable room, and good safety ratings seem to be the best reasons for buying a VW. If cost or fuel mileage were the major reasons for owning one, then there are better choices (in my opinion). For instance why a Jetta instead of a Corolla? Unless you get the Jetta diesel, the Corolla gets better fuel economy, is claimed to be far more reliable, and you can probably buy it for less. On the other hand I am sure the VW will be better for spirited driving and be roomier. However, the people that like the "low ego emissions ad," don't seem like the sort that will care about the spirited driving or worry about the boring aspects of a Corolla or Camry.
Ed
in article 4484397f$1@kcnews01, C. E. White at snipped-for-privacy@removemindspring.com wrote on 6/5/06 7:00 AM:

This goes back to those Denny's commercials with the senile sisters, which started the whole "Hey, I'm stupid and useless and I use this product; if you're stupid and useless you should too!" school of advertising.
The amazing thing is, it works.
Convinces me to avoid the product though.

VW is such an unreliable POS. I really do not understand why people still buy into the brand?