I'm a lucky guy

I was adjusting the valves and got a big surprise on #3. Retaining clip broken off and the rocker could slide from seat to center of shaft. Nothing damaged. I put new clip on and continued. New heads about 1500 miles ago...not rebuilt. Anyone else had this happen? The rockers were quite loose before adjustment. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Update. Had to replace a clip, adjuster screw, and spring washer (which had broken and I found half of it upon draining the oil). Yes, I am a very lucky guy.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Same thing happened to a customer just last week. I went in, fixed it for him, (cheap swivel foot sadjuster "missed" the valve stem and broke, like they always do) , and yesterday he calls and says he had a valve spring break. (same head, different valve).

I spent some time today fabricating a tool that allows me to disassemble the valve sprins with the engine in the car. I know I could order one from a number of sources, but it wouldn't get here by tomorrow. Plus it would cost money :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It is a comfort to know I'm not the only one this happens to.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik