13 MILLION STINKING USA DIESELS

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2843908120070228 http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2007/02/28/038573.html
WASHINGTON, Feb. 28, 2007 -- Diesel fumes pose a major health risk to
commuters, according to a new report by the non-profit Clean Air Task Force. The Boston-based environmental research group reported today that even though we spend only a tiny portion of our day commuting, it's during the commute that we receive more than half our overall exposure to deadly fine particle pollution. "Exposure to diesel exhaust during commutes poses a serious public health risk that needs to be addressed," said George Thurston, Professor of Environmental Medicine at New York University's School of Medicine, who wrote the foreword to the report. Fine particle pollution, including diesel exhaust, can cause lung cancer, stroke, heart attack and infant death. It also triggers asthma attacks and makes people more likely to become allergic. Some health researchers have estimated that such fine particles are responsible for shortening the lives of at least 70,000 Americans each year. The Task Force specifically investigated diesel exhaust levels during commutes in New York, NY; Boston, MA; Austin, TX and Columbus, OH. The Task Force documented diesel particle levels four to eight times higher inside commuter cars, buses, and trains than in the ambient outdoor air in those cities. These are examples of likely results during a commute anywhere in the country where there is significant diesel traffic. "Our investigation demonstrated that you may be exposed to high levels of diesel particles -- four to eight times the levels in the outdoor air -- whether you commute by car, bus, ferry, train, or on foot," said Bruce Hill, Senior Scientist with CATF. By contrast, Hill noted, pollution levels were negligible for commuters in and near vehicles equipped with modern pollution controls or those that run on lower polluting fuels such as natural gas. "The problem is that there are 13 million diesel engines in service today, and virtually all are exempt from modern pollution controls," said Conrad Schneider, Advocacy Director for the Task Force. "However, our study showed that simply replacing the muffler of trucks or buses with a diesel particle filter can reduce commuter exposure substantially," he said. By EPA regulation, the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel that is necessary to keep these diesel particle filters operating optimally became available nationwide late last year. The Task Force called on federal and state agencies to increase funding to clean up highly polluting buses and other existing diesel engines. It urged the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to require that long-haul trucks clean up when their engines are rebuilt. It also urged the EPA to move ahead with plans to set new pollution standards for diesel trains and diesel-powered boats, including commuter ferries.
I don't think the small number of European diesel cars on the road make much of a contribution compared to the number of large displacement diesels in service. How much can my 1600cc VW diesel contribute, at 48 MPG and 20 gallons per month, or my 3 liter Benz?
--
Stupendous Man,

It's visible coming out of your pipe, fancy tests aren't needed.
However the new diesels using the new (in NA) much cleaner diesel fuel may do the trick to make diesel's more acceptable.

Clearly you don't know much about electronic controls on diesels, nor do you know much about modern diesel engines.
And as far as "stink" goes, I'd bet that if we put you in an gasoline fume free environment for a few hours, you'd smell those again as well. I'd venture a guess and say that the smell of gasoline burning engines is so prevalent that we as a population sumply don't notice it that much anymore. Sad really.
--
Max

greek_philosophizer wrote:

"> The report opines that: "Our investigation demonstrated that you may be exposed to high levels

So what. Have they demonstrated that a four fold to eight fold increase actually means something. I see no proof (in this article) that there is a problem here. EJ in NJ
greek_philosophizer wrote:

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
Highcountry wrote:

Forget the wackos in the Middle East and Korea, we've got the very worst wackos in Washington!

Vlad the Impaler wrote:

Oh boy! Another live one from the "good is evil and evil is good" club.
It's funny that those most afraid to die are also those most afraid to live.
Something's going to kill you. Brain cancer. Heart disease. A runaway beer truck. There are no guarantees.
Quit whining and live.
Steve
Bill Putney wrote:

Bill,
Your post proves that you don't have a clue about factual US history over the last 50 years.
Declassified US docs show that the US has conducted secret experiments on the the US population with drugs, disease and radiation. Declassified US docs show that US involvement in Vietnam was started by official lies about a Vietnamese attack in the Gulf of Tonkin. Declassified US docs show that we have consistently overthrown democracies and supported dictatorships in more than a few cases. Declassified US docs show.....well....look if you're interested in facts, go find out the facts for yourself. The internet is the world's biggest library.
Once you know, you will quit spewing bullshit like "US - good, right, etc". The US you thought you knew has not existed for quite some time.
Vlad the Impaler wrote:

OK - since the US is so awful, please tell us your choice of countries/governments that you consider the gold-standard of decency in the world today.
Can't wait for the answer - this ought to be good!

The ignorance of the general populace is deafening. When TV programs can stop the "Man on the street" and ask them basic general knowledge questions, and they can't get it right, it's scary.
And then, when they ask who the vice president or speaker of the house or who their own congressman is, and the can't get it right, it's more than scary.
Yet, these poor poor poor ignorant fools can have an ISP, and blog on, and flood newsgroups, and generally prattle on about all manner of things EXCEPT the actual topic of the newsgroup.
And yet, people still give them too much respect and credibility.
Talking with ignorant people is an exercise in futility. To do so, one must lower themselves intellectually so as to even have a two way conversation. And in the pursuant conversation, it's like talking to a schizophrenic. Wait, a schizophrenic makes more sense than most of these lost souls.
They've never served in the Armed Forces. They haven't been outside the United States unless you consider a booze cruise in the Caribbean to be outside the United States. They know nothing of the history of what brought us to where we are, or why people in other countries may have some issues with the US. Give them a globe and ask where the major countries of the world are, and they can't do it.
And yet, they go on and on and on about things as though they were intelligent informed human beings.
Amazing.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

How true. Nor could those same people tell you what the terms caliphate, dhimmah, and jizya mean. A true modern-day liberal's delimmma.