1978 Dodge Power Wagon Combustion Problem

I've got an 78 Dodge Power Wagon (D200) with the 360. The truck won't idle nor stay running. It dies when you stop for light, etc... Mileage is crap. Plugs are fine. Timing? Carburetor? The truck only has 55K but
it is 28 years old. Thought of switching to a Thunder Series 650 (which I probably will do anyway) but was hoping to get some insight on what else could be the problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Do a search under this group for: "75 Dodge 1 Ton problem"
A fella posted that one a few weeks back, and though we're not comparing the exact same problems, the responses IMO cover just about all the bases when it comes to making old iron run right again.
Jon
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

I had a Chrysler New Yorker that did the same thing. It did that whenever it was low on oil. See if that's the problem.
Last year I sold my 1979 Power Wagon. It ran good, but the body was really bad. I never had the stalling problem with it, tho it always took 15 or 20 minutes to start it up and let it idle in the morning.
Check the carb for flooding could be gummed up or have bad float, check for stuck egr valve
Years ago, I had a 74 Dodge Dart. With the 318. There was a vacuum hose from the back of the carb to the bottom of the air cleaner. When that hose was off, the vehicle would run awful. I'd be looking for cracked or missing vacuum hose.
For that matter, at this age of a truck, buy a couple rolls of vacuum hose and replace all the vacuum lines.
Please let us know what you find. So that we can learn.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.