74 dodge power wagon diesel

Is there a source for parts , engine , etc for 74 diesel power wagon. This is project truck. Needs a new seat , etc . Already got a Manuel on this truck . Did it come with dodge ram hood ornament ?

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Neat project. I remeber when those were new and they did not make many of them. It had a surdy motor just not much HP.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Reply to
Drew Cutter

YOu are going to need to make sure that you install a vacum pump to run accessories that require it and heavier front springs for the added weight. If you really want to make it unique and bring a good dollar (if you want max profit) find a 440 V8 and put that in at as it was a option back then and some 4 wheeler would jump at getting a old restored Dodge with a 440 in it. If you do, use a 73 or later 440 as it will have hardened vaves and seat for unleaded fuel.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Reply to
Drew Cutter

I know but since you were considering one type of engine change, you might consider a 440 swap too as it would be a whole new "animal". 440 powered ones are REALLY rare today and one restored would bring top dollar.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

SnoMan

I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

SnoMan

I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

SnoMan

I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

If you are doing a first class restro YOU WILL NEVER get all your money back

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Reply to
Drew Cutter

When do ever get your money back?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

If the truck is for off-road use only a roll cage might be worthwhile. Roll cages in street vehicles are a safety hazard unless all the occupants wear a helmet every time the vehicle is driven. If you get in a wreck and hit your head on the cage it's like getting hit in the head with a metal baseball bat. Padding on the bars isn't very effective either. That only reduces the impact to getting hit in the head with a padded bat. A frame mounted roll bar in the bed would be a better choice if you drive it on the street.

As far as finding a used engine, I'd first check the local newspaper for cheap running 440 donor vehicles. If you find nothing there check the junk-yards and eBay.

Big block truck conversion article:

Nosey

You want one out of a motorhome or a boat. Do not worry about post-73 as you will want to have hardened exhaust valve seats installed in the heads: the induction hardened castings are of little benefit. I have seen running , but disgusting, motorhomes for less than a good engine: find one where the duffer died in it for a really good buy. Getting rid of the carcass is difficult, unless burning is an option.

I would rather have a 360 or a 383 for daily driving in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton because of fuel mileage. A 440 gives a little more power, lots more fuel burn. Look to intelligent gearing and tuning-exhaust, cam, and EFI-for pulling power, not raw displacement, unless you have a secret stash of free fuel.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig