1996 Dodge Ram Starter

Friends,
As usual I'm confused. Can a starter for a 1996 Ram PU, V8, 5.9 106, 000 miles be rebuilt? Some info I've come across says the whole unit just needs replaced. For the past couple months she'll act like a low
battery: nothing but a 'click' when I try to start her. Then the same thing will happen on the second and third try. Then maybe a 'half' try to turn over then another and then she finally does. Some days she'll start on the first try and others it'll take five minutes of trying. I have to replace my front brakes and rotors for inspection and was going to pull the starter at the same time but I'm wondering if the above conditions means the probliem is elsewhere or if, like I heard, the starter can't be reworked. Hope all are us old posters are well.
Steve

About half way down the page, you will see some larger sized starter contacts for your rebuild. Sounds like that should work for ya. http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm The page also has links for install instructions.
I don't know if Geno's is any different or not, it is what I put in my '03. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LB-R90SS
--

FMB
(North Mexico)

His engine is a gasser so those links won't apply. In answer to the OP's question, yes, the starter "can" be rebuilt but practically speaking, a reman starter is the cheaper way to go.
Hope this helps!
Mike

I replaced the starter on my 3.9 v6 99 ram van.. I would assume the starter is the same on the 5.9 gas motor.
I should have hunted around for the contact repair kit, as the solenoid plunger and related contacts were the only parts in need of replacement. However, it *is* nice know I have a new starter under there. I still have the old starter for the future..

<snip>
Crap, I must have diesels on the mind, Mike.
--

FMB
(North Mexico)

That's OK. I have heated leather seats on my mind.... er.... that didn't turn out too good did it?
;^)
Mike
I'm replacing a U-Joint too and can you believe I stripped the hub puller out? These things latch on like an exgirlfriend.
Steve

Borrowed my friends hammer gun and the hub came out in five minutes. In anycase I had the starter reworked at a local garage. It was cheaper than a rebuilt one from a auto parts store and I was having trouble even finding one in stock around here. Thanks all.
Steve

My county fair just ended where I man a bee exhibit. Out back of my building there was a 1901 natural gas diesel hit or miss engine! Neatest thing I ever saw. It pumped an oil well for 75 years. It still ran quite well.
beekeep

First time I ever heard of a 'hit or miss' engine was Saturday when someone put a photo up of a model. Now you mention it. So, looked it up in Wiki then YouTube and found this. Pretty good. Thanks for the introduction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXM6yNVZ8qM

--

FMB
(North Mexico)

What is the condition of the cables as well as the connections?