1999 Ram fuel pump

I was quoted $500.00 to replace a fuel pump in my 1999 Dodge ram 4X4 quad cab with a 26 gallon fuel tank. Although it may be completely covered under my Guardian insurance plan.

Does that price sound crazy?

One other thing. For about 8 months now, my fuel gauge has not been working correctly. I found this out when I ran out of gas with 1/4 of a tank still showing on the guage. So I've been using the odometer since.

Now the fuel pump appears to have gone bad. Are the fuel guage and the fuel pump related? Would it seem plausible that the fuel guage system craps out 8 months before the fuel pump? And if I get a new fuel pump will that automatically fix the fuel guage problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve K

That high price comes from the high price of the pump (especially if it's from Dodge) and the pain in the ass it is to replace it. You could probably do better if you shop around. Your fuel sending unit mounts to the pump assembly but IIRC, is not included when you get the new pump. There may actually be nothing wrong with the gauge or its sending unit. The pump has a pre-filter attached to the bottom of it and if that union failed, it is possible that the pump will begin sucking air at 1/4 tank which would make you think that the gauge was wrong. Does the gauge operate properly above

1/4 of a tank? If so, this is the most likely cause. Another thing that could happen if it leaks there is that the pump now has to deal with all of the crap in the tank that the pre-filter would have stopped and could cause excessive wear to the pump and the main filter to plug up and stop flow to the engine. There is sadly know way to know any of this without removing the pump and the pump should be covered (minus any deductibles) from your plan. The fuel sending unit is cheap compared to the pump and should add nothing to the cost of labor so you might want to have it replaced since the y don't last forever.
Reply to
TBone

I replaced mine this summer when it started to act up, I paid around $150.00 for the pump unit. Over all it was not a tough job took me about 4 hours including draining the tank down.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

4 hours at around $80 an hour plus the $150 fuel pump comes out to $470, pretty close to his $500 estimate.
Reply to
TBone

Yes, the fuel gauge works fine until it reaches 1/4 tank. Then the gauge just stays there basically. When it was working correctly I would hear a "ding" and a light would come on the dash saying the fuel was low. Using the odometer as a fuel gauge, on a full tank it runs out of gas after going 300-320 miles. But yet even when I keep driving it at

300 or so miles, meaning it is real low on gas, I haven't heard that "ding" in many months.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
smk17

I just went through a similar situation...although I purchased a replacement unit from NAPA. I've been going by the odometer for a long time now. Once I dropped the tank and removed the assembly, my only problem was a clogged filter which can be cleaned very easily. It mounts to the bottom of the pump via

2 clips. Once that was cleaned and I removed the crap gas left in the tank from the station, all was good. I then returned the fuel pump assembly back to NAPA for a full refund. Napa unit is much less.

As for the sending unit, you will see the obvious problem with that when u take it out. I've got some pics I took of mine, to give you an idea of what is possibly going on with yours, if you'ld like to see them.. The sending unit is available seperately from Dodge and cost is about $40.00. A little time and you can do it all yourself.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works