2001 2500 shifter problem?

Father in law just bought a 2001 2500 2WD with the 360 in it. It has some miles on it but seems solid enough. He did ask me one question about the shift lever though. He says that you have to hunt to find
Drive and then if your in drive and put it into neutral it doesn't go back into drive. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet but I'm guessing it is just a loose linkage? I will be tearing into it over the weekend to do some minor repairs (small crack in the dash, the drop down cup holder is broken, putting on a seat cover and adding some side steps) so I figured I'd look at the shifter as well.
Steve W.
Steve W. wrote:

My '99 had a small crack in the dashboard. It became several small cracks. Then several large cracks. Then it progressed to holes in the dashboard. I got a plastic molded dash cover from Geno's Garage. I'm pleased with the product. It fits very good. It comes with a tube of glue to hold it down but I didn't put any on it. You can't tell that it's a cover unless you look very closely. It's only available in black but Geno's has interior trim paint too. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number SHTOP-998 http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept
--
Ken