94 Dakota Sprort, horrible mpg

Hi, I got a 94 pickup with the v6, auto......
I am getting like 13-16mpg, is there any cure? It runs smooth, idles nice, no smoke......
Thanks

Nope, that's about what it does.
"ToyotaRocks" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've got a 98' Dakota with the 3.9L V-6, auto and I usually get around 16MPG. My Ram 1500 has a 5.2L and gets around 14-15MPG.
ToyotaRocks wrote:

My '94 2WD DAK 3.9 AT CC gets about 15 city and 20 hi-way (if I hold the speed under 68MPH) loaded for fishing and towing a very small/lite boat. That's with about 350lbs of gear in the truck and the boat and trailer combo weight maybe 475lbs. It'll go bad in a hurry if I go any faster, 60MPH is ideal, as it'll do a little over 20MPG at that speed.
mine is 2wd , and I am wondering how to push some more out of it................
I have no complaint about power, but its empty most of the time, and there is no reason for a 6cyl to get this bad mpg..
Diamond Dave wrote:

Hah..that little six-banger is nothing but a 318 with 2 cylinders lobbed off..Kinda explains the poor mileage. Maybe a K & N filter and some synthetic oil would help..seemed to help my old tired 318 gain 1-2 mpg on the highway.
Believe it or not...try some Zmax treatment. I know it seems trivial but it increased my mileage by 10% in my 2500 QC.
Laszlo Almasi
My truck is 5.2 liter, v8, auto, with 312 cid 1996 ram with 70k miles on it and it drives 15 miles per gallon and I can't argue with that. I feel my truck is great on gas. It takes about 280 to 310 miles on full tank.
312?
Larry Behold Beware Believe

Yes 312 cid. Believe it or not. I just replaced whole spark plugs, distribution cap, rotor, and wirings all bosch, bosch 4 split spark plugs. And distribution coil. It works really great. Dude probably beat the crap out of his dakota besides its a sport performance truck of his so it eats gas unlike mine.
I bought a great truck for cheap. It just needed new tranny and new 4x4, shocks, tune up I spend 5 grand on new parts and done it myself.
Got truck for 4 grand with 48k miles. Its now 70k miles. No problem since I fixed it.
Go go dodge ram fans
Larry Crites wrote:

I believe you may want to look again. I don't recall Chrysler Corp ever having a 312 v8. but a 5.2L 318 is in existence and widely used in the trucks.
--
-Chris

Makes me appreciate my 1978 3.9L V6 Dakota, 2wd and 5 speed. Even at 275K miles it continues to get 22-23 mpg highway. You have 14" or 15" wheels? The door jamb info says mine was build with 14" rims, but on the dealer lot it came outfitted with 15" rims.