99 2500 TD 4X4 Brakes grab

Have a braking problem with my truck and hope someone can help. When I step on the brake pedal the brakes grab. I barely have to push on the pedal and it feels like the rear brakes grab and sometimes the tires lockup. The truck has rear antilock, I have no antilock light on. It's almost as if there is too much residual pressure in the lines to the rear brakes or something is not letting the pressure release. I noticed this started happenng after I had to make a panic stop while towing my 5th wheel camper.

Reply to
dspencer77

moisture in system,,,,just an thought.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Check and see if something got bent or otherwise fouled with your load-sensing proportioning valve - it's a valve hanging from the driver's side frame rail, back by the rear axle. The lower the truck squats, the more the arm of the valve rotates, and allows more fluid pressure to the rear brakes.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Pull the rear wheels & drums and check for a leaking axle seal or leaking wheel (brake) cylinder. Either of these will give you the symptoms you describe. I've had one of each go bad on my '99 2500 TD 4X4 so far.

Reply to
Nosey